whats wrong with my clownfish?

Sep 9, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
I have a false percula clownfish that looks very bad. He was fine in my tank for a few weeks but now he is just kinda laying on the sand and looks as if he is panting/gasping for air or something. Doesnt look bad visibly at all. I thought he was going to die right away but he has been doing this the past 48 hours. My skimmer is running, along with 2 powerheads and my emperor 400. I have a nice lawnmower blenny who is healthy and also a healthy long tentacle ane. could my tank need Oxygen?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sorry I'm not a saltie so I'm not sure what could be wrong with your clown...but have you done water tests to see what levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate etc are in your tank? I believe those are as important in salt as they are in fresh.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
biowheels are nitrate factories...a horrible option for a SW tank! i would take out any mechanical filtration you have and rely on the LR and the skimmer for biological filtration...that should really be all you need...i dont know why jaws101 would say "it might be the nitrate" given we have no idea what your water parameters are looking like...have you checked them?