When a Hobby Becomes a Chore

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm almost to the point where I'm about to give up. I know I entered this hobby uneducated and ignorant to the needs and responsibilities that it takes. After learning the demands needed of me, I was more than happy to oblige. But it seems for every 1 step forward I take I get thrown back 2.

After my 1st tank in my sig, seemed to be cycled for at least two weeks I had an ammonia spike, several, several water changes later and that did not change. My second tank, which turned out better than the first (yet was only setup with in days of the first) lost all of its occupants after a dosing with Amquel Plus, Many people on this and other forumns insisted that it was impossiable that it was the Amquel plus as the problem. Even I (who had used it before) had doubts but it was the only common denominator in the situation.

After dosing with Amquel plus in both tanks at the same time, instantly the occupants of tank2 started to get disoriented and died all with in a 20 minute window. While a Silver dollar in tank1 died in the same time frame.

I recently came to deal with my losses in that tank and started to plan out the details on rebuilding it. (usuing a fishless cycle this time) Then while trying ONCE AGAIN to battle ammonia spikes in tank 1, (water changes several times aday) last night I tested it and had high amounts again, I did a 75% water change, 8 hours later when I woke up, I did another test, No change in the results the ammonia was just as high, so I gave in to the doubts I had originally about the Amquel plus being the culprit of my last tank disaster (after all, I had used it before with no problems) and doesed my 30gallon tank, 1 tsp per 10 gallons, and instantly My bala sharks, started swimming in diagonal circles and raming at high speeds the underside of the hood repeatedly, my silver dollars swam at high speed back and forth across the tank and my clown loaches (my absolute favorites) went crazy as well. They all died within minutes of the dosing.

I hope that you can understand the frustrations and disapointment I have at the moment. I only have my original 3 gouramis, and 1 pleco left out of all the fish that I had between 2 tanks, and I wouldnt be surprised if I got home tonight to find them dead as well.

Kevin

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
I would advise against chemical whenever possible. Personally I do not use fishless cycling, I either seed from another tank or just buy the cheapest fish I can find to start cycling. What kind of filtering do you have? Have you tested your water out of the tap? Maybe you have high ammonia in your tap water? There is probably a simple answer to it all. What do you use for substrate? How much do you feed? Do you have plants? Do you vaccum your gravel when you do water changes? When you cycled your tank did you ever see spikes in Nitrite then Nitrate? The more we know, the more we can help

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Fishless cycle is tricky because it takes away from the point of cycling. Fish produce ammonia, which is used by bacteria to grow and flourish. I would advise putting some fish in there. Actually I get away with not cycling for long. I just let my water run for a day or so then make sure its ok then add fish.

I agree with what derajer said, do not use chemicals. They create more problems than they solve. Just let the ammonia naturally settle itself. And dont feed fish often, and make sure tanks are not overstocked. Bala sharks get a little big for a 30g.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
thats what i did mushroomman, i just left my tank for 2 days, made sure ph, nitrite was ok, then added a few of my own fry then like 3 days after added the whole bunch of my fishes, and yes, id just leave it aswell to cycle
Adam

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I know this may be a "duh" question, but you do use tap water conditioner, right?

Amquel Plus, I am not familiar with that, however in my experience, fix alls hardly do that if they don't really just make the situation worse.

If I had to make a guess...I would either say your load is too large which will cause the dreaded "New tank syndrom" especially if the nitrites or nitrates weren't finished. Thats when your tank just doesn't have the capacity to handle the amount of ammonia being put out by the load, or something that you added to the tank killed the bacteria population. For example,,, (blushing with embarassment) When I started this hobby 12 years ago, I thought I could just rinse all my filter stuff in the sink. I couldn't figure out why my ammonia would spike everytime I did a water change. Well now I know that the chlorine in tap water was killing the bacteria. At 16 years old, it just didn't click, but I always use water conditioner because I knew it was better for the fish, but didn't know it would kill the bacteria colony - doh.

Don't give up. Don't add anymore fish or Amquel until we figure out whats going on. At the very worst, you may have no fish, but it will easier to figure out how to fix it that way and will save you much heartache starting with a clean slate. If your fish make it then great, that means that things may be leveling out and you can learn like the rest of us do. Either way, we have all had heartaches I am sure, or at least I know I have.

chichian

Medium Fish
Jun 17, 2005
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Don't give up!

Sorry to hear about your losses and frustrations. Perhaps that bottle of Amquel has gone bad? I don't know--I've never used it before; I actually thought it was just a water conditioner. If you are continually having issues with ammonia and have decent lighting, besides the water changes, you may want to try adding some hornwort to your tanks (perhaps a few bunches in each tank depending on the tank sizes). It seems to suck up ammonium and ammonia like crazy and grows very quickly. It could help you until your tank stabilizes.

Either way, I would discontinue use of at least that particular bottle of Amquel (if it's been from the same bottle) and get some Prime, Stress Coat, or Aquasafe for your water changes.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experience. Pretty depressing I know. But as others said, don't give up. I do agree re: staying away from fishless cycling. I've both seeded from other tanks or just loading up with plants and let them "cook" in heat, light and filtering for a few days ... then added fish. So stick with it. If you are really in a hurry there is also Bio-Spira or Seachem's Stability that will cycle within 24-48 hours. With these methods and these products, why anybody puts themselves through fishless cycling is beyond me.