When a tank breaks?

Opesus

Medium Fish
Mar 9, 2005
I'm going to be living on the 4th floor of an apartment next month, and I'm kind of worried about my tank.

IT's an acrylic 10-gallon.

If it were to break (or the table it was on) and leak, would I be responsible to pay for any damages?

Anybody know how this stuff works?

thanks,
matt

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
you would be responsible for any damage caused, unless you have renter's insurance.

Even if you did, unless you had a specific rider written into the policy, you would probably still be liable for any damage.

Although, I do not think a 10 gallon would do that much damage....

and the chances of a tank made from acrylic breaking.....not so much.

i already had this happen to me, we were in the process of moving out and i left my 29 gal set up (with fish) until after everything was moved out...well accidents happen, a table went through the glass, 29 gallons of water + fish went spilling onto the floor, i lived in the 3rd floor of an apt, and my landlord came upstairs a half hour later saying that someone noticed water leaking into they're apartment on the first floor! Luckily, my boyfriend and the movers where there when it happened and they were able to catch some of the water in whatever was around....the damage to the other apartments was minimal, not enough to pay for damages, but we did give our landlord $50 to get the carpets cleaned...it smelled very FISHY!! So all in all, a potentially disasterous situation, was fairly mild, my poor fish though :( 3/4 died. Good news though, i upgraded my tank size ;) Bad news, i'm really nervous to walk by my tank in case of it falling over or something....and i get very angry when commercials show the fish tank getting something smashed into it and everything comes out, thats basically what happened..i not longer think seeing that in commercials is funny!!

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
You will probably not have a problem in this direction as these things are built to take quite a lot. HOWEVER. It depends on where you live as to what the law says about this. See your local citizens advice (or similar) and find out how you stand BEFORE somone sues your $%**