when changing your filter cartridges

calikas

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2006
hey, when my tank has finally cycled i was told you change filter cartridges seperately first one,then wait a ?is it week or a month before i change the other one?

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Well, are you talking about the carbon cartridge? Or the bio-sponge? Or both?

I change my carbon cartridge every 4 weeks, but you NEVER change your bio filter, which is the sponge-like one. That's where your bacteria live that break down the ammonia.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I'm glad you asked this question, I was wondering the same thing....my filter was used (came with the tank) so it did not come with any instructions.

It is very similar to the Aquaclear power filters but I have no idea brand it actually is so I had to cut my own carbon sponges (it was an awkward size). The carbon sponge fits into a slot just behind the output flow and then behind that is a large empty space where presumably another filter should have been placed (the aquaclear filters have a space for baggies of carbon, sponge and some other "anti-ammonia" sponge). Since I didn't know what went there I bought the aqua-clear baggies and stacked them.

Does that sound right? When I change my filter what part would be the biofilter? Should I buy one of those sponges that goes at the bottom of the filter (to act as the biofilter)? I am not sure what to do.

Jenn

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
I'm sure the experts will chime in soon, but I'll give it a go. You should have 3 filters in your system: mechanical, chemical, and biological. The water coming into your filter should go through the mechanical first, I believe it's also called floss. In my system this is attached to the carbon cartridge, so the water flows through the floss, which traps the big particles and waste. Then into the carbon, which is the chemical filter, which removes impurities and chemicals from the water. Lastly the water should flow through the biological filter, which in my system looks like a sponge. This is where your bacteria will colonize after your tank is cycled, and break down the ammonia into nitrates. The carbon filters must be changed regularly, they only work for so long and then they are " used up ". But the biological filter should never be replaced, only rinsed gently in old tank water.

I'm new at this too, and I'm sure filter systems are all different, but this is how mine works, as I understand it.

calikas

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2006
HEY SUB the carbon

i was told at the lfs to alternate changing the carbon bags the first time,ive already changed one but not sure when to change the other.is a week good?

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Submariner gave a great summary, but I'll just add that many aquarists don't bother with carbon. The carbon is pretty ineffective after a couple weeks, and isn't really a necessity in most tanks. It's mainly used only after medicating a tank, to get the medications out. Of course, retailers will try to sell the product and make it sounds like an absolute necessity.

If you have a planted tank, then don't use carbon. The carbon takes a lot of trace nutrients out of the water...trace nutrients that the plants need to grow.

Good luck!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Agreed! I only use carbon for med removal, and if a particular tank has a lot of wood in it. The carbon will remove the tea color of the water that was caused by the wood leaching tannic acid into the water.

calikas

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2006
so dont use it at all?isnt it another filterer?when i initially pulled the carbon bags they were so dirty,is that cuz the tank just cycled or are they always dirty?

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
the carbon isn't really necessary, no. However, ive noticed that when I do water changes, a fair amount of the tap water chamicals are dissipated after the filter has a go at it. I also have a bio wheel. Those things are great. The water in mine runs through my foam (which is layered with carbon) and spins the bio wheel. I have had no problem with it. To answer the original question, i switch cartridges about once every month to a month-and-a-half. They are pretty gunked up then, but still effective.