When should i add corals?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
I tested the water this morning and it turns out that that rinsing with tap water made ammonia show up on the color reading, so i tested and all parimeters check out, would it be ok to add some corals this weekend when i get some snails?

and what kind of snails should i get? ive seen the one with the long tubes that stick out of the shells for $2-3. what kind eats the most algae?

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
ram man said:
and what kind of snails should i get? ive seen the one with the long tubes that stick out of the shells for $2-3. what kind eats the most algae?
If they are long tubes they are either Nassarius, Conch, or Whelks so it is best to know what snail you are buying. I haved used Nassarius and Margarita snails and they do a great job, but Margaritas prefer cooler water. There are many other snails to choose from including Astrea, Cerith, Turbo, etc.

If the tank is cycled and the levels are in the correct range than I say go ahead and add a few coral.

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Those are Nassarius snails and they would help out your tank greatly by consuming uneaten food, fish waste, and decaying organics aswell as sift the sand. Sexy shrimp are really unique and yes you could house 3-5 in a 10 gallon. What fish do you plan to keep in this tank?

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i called about the reef and aquatouch, i asked how much some snails cost for each store.
ATR is $2.99 to $3.99
Aqua Touch is 2.50 for astrea snails, what store should i go to? aqua touch said those would be the only one that i could put in a ten gallon but i doubt it.