when to add to fish

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i was wondering how long do you wait to add new fish to a tank. i have a 95 gal. that was given to me that came with fish.

oops. my supject.. i meant "when do you add NEW fish"?

Last edited:
Well you should attemp doing a Fishless Cycle(click here). That way there are no casualties. But if this is the tank that comes with the Parrot Cichlids then I suggest adding them and then test the water with a test kit every day/ other day. Do daily 25% wc's and I think you should be fine. If anyone else would like to add or correct please go ahead.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
yes this is the tank coming with the parrots and some others (no clue what they are). someone told me (a lady at the fish shop) to wait 2 weeks before putting in the fish. i just can't wait to actually put mine own in. i have been waiting forever for the tank.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
James From Cali said:
Well you can add the ones you have now if your impatient, but remember patience is a key ingredient in Fishkeeping.
so are your saying that the fish that are coming with the tank have to wait to be but in too? i am confused :confused:, sorry i am new at all this stuff, and the short hand that you guys type. not saying that you have with me.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
JWright

no i was asking when can i had new fish to the tank. so i can call some my own.

JAMES FROM CALI- what is wc's, i have not learned the short hand yet (if it is even short hand, if not i have no idea what you are talking about :confused: ) sorry.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Ah...

Wait a couple weeks until things settle out before you add more fish.

A WC is a water closet... A British euphemism for the bathroom.

Fortunately, it is also an acronym for "water change". It refers to the weekly 20-30% water changes we do to keep our fish healthy.

Are you familiar with how the "nitrogen cycle" works in the aquarium?

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
JWright

thanks, i am kind of familar with the nitrogen cycle. but i have never attempted it yet. well i mean this is the first tank i have ever owned. i did read up on it. but that was kind of confusing though. i would love it if you give me so info on it. the tank should be here in about 2 hours and i am kind of lost.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Well, fish produce ammonia like we produce urine. They release that ammonia into the water through their gills. Ammonia is toxic to the fish (hence the fact that they get rid of it through their gills). So, we need a way to get rid of that ammonia.

Fortunately, nature has taken care of that for us. There are certain types of bacteria that consume ammonia. Those bacteria are all around us, and over time they will grow in large numbers in your filter and consume all the ammonia your fish produce.

This is all well and good, but when they consume that ammonia, they release nitrite, which is also very toxic.... But again, nature has it covered, and there is another type of bacteria that consumes nitrite. Those bacteria then release nitrate. Nitrate isn't great, but it's a lot better than either ammonia or nitrite.

These bacteria don't just appear overnight in your filter though. There are a few there to start with since they're all around us. However, to start with, there aren't anywhere near enough bacteria to consume all the ammonia your fish will produce. It takes time for the bacteria to reproduce enough to have a colony big enough to "eat" all the ammonia. Once the ammonia eating bacteria have grown big enough, the nitrite bacteria have to run. This whole process can take a few weeks.

The good news is, if you're keeping the same filter that has been running on the tank, then you already have those bacteria colonies. However, some die-off will occur during the transport process, so there will be a small spike of ammonia and nitrite as the bacteria "re-grow".

Since you will already be seeing a small ammonia spike, you don't want to make it worse by adding more fish which will just increase the amount of ammonia being added to the water.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
wow, you made that so much easier to understand, thanks a whole lot. now what if i keep the filters and all the accessories in a bucket or two full of the tank water. will that help the bac. colonies stay alive?