when to do first water change in new tank

erc2995

Small Fish
Mar 13, 2010
hello everyone, my first post here
i have a 20 gallon tank set up every fish i have put in so far are all doing great. the water got cloudy when i filled the tank up with no fish then cleared.
now it is getting a little hazzy i think do the couple sinking pellets i put in for the cat fish
my question is now that the tank has had fish in it for about 11 days when should i do my first partial water change? is it even necassary? i was thinking of maybe replacing like 3 gallons of water later this week?
also there is no food or fecies sitting in the gravel so the tank is very clean

Feb 27, 2009
The water looking clean does not mean it is clean for the fish to be healthy.

Do you have a water test kit? You should do a 50% water change if the ammonia gets to 1ppm. If you don't have one, I highly recommend getting on at your local fish store. Get the ones that use liquid drops to test, not the strips. You should test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

How many and what kind of fish do you have in the tank now?

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Agree with OrangeCones. Here's the kit I use. Also, depending on how many fish you have in there, Ammonia could be forming in the first day or two. Get a good kit right away.

If you don't know about cycling a fish tank then look it up. Very important to know what's going on. Could mean the difference between a healthy tank or having most of your fish die.

aglowe00

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2010
you should do about 30% water change a week once you get your levels normal. grab a master test kit at your LFS and you should be in business in no time :)