When to get more than just flakes food?

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Hey guys,

One of the things that I haven't really thought about until recently is what other kinds of food should I get, and how often should I feed this specialty food to my fish. Right now I have neons, 2 emerald green corys, a peppered cory, 2 red wag platties, 2 dannios (one fancy I believe), and a chinese algae eater. I typically feed a small bit of flaked food once a night to the fish. We recently picked up these sinking tablets for the cories I believe, but I'm not sure what it is.

What other kinds of food should I get, what fish would it be for, how often do I keep it, and any good places on getting this specialty food if I can't find it in my LFS?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I try and mnake sure everyone in my tank can eat every kind of food that goes in it. All my fish are omnivours so generally if I use meat flake during the day I drop in a bit of sinking algae at night. If I use an algae flake during the day I drop in a bit of sinking shrimp pellet at night. Then I figure my bases are covered. I have far too many differant kinds of fish food I'm sure.

And I have frozen blood worms too for a treat though I find the fish gobble too many of those.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I primarily feed flake but from time to time mix it up with freeze dried shrimp, tubifex worms, and bloodworms. I also throw in a shrimp pellet or algae wafer depending on the tank. I sometimes raise my own brine shrimp and mosquito larvae for special treats. Extra guppy fry tend to be a consumed pretty quick by my angelfish and bettas. Also, I add some zucchini to the tank for my pleco.

Punkrulz

Large Fish
Sep 5, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I think I will head to the pet store this weekend and purchase some of the blood worms... I know they have them for sale on dr's foster and smith... however I'm not sure what to buy. First of all the shipping is outrageous since you need 1day shipping as they are frozen... secondly, they have them in cubes, which I don't think it says how many come in a pack... and if it did, do you feed the fish the whole cube?