When will my tank finish cycling?

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
I have been fishless cycling my tank for a month now, and my ammonia levels have not gone down at all. I added ammonia at the very start of the cycle, and have not added any since, as the levels haven't dropped at all. Here are my readings as of today:
Ammonia----6ppm
Nitrites----5.0ppm
Nitrates----10ppm
PH----7.4
I can't understand why the nitrites are rising if the ammonia doesn't appear to be processing. My tank is just a 2 1/2 gallon that I'm getting ready for a betta fish, the temp is 82 degrees, it has one live plant, one silk plant, and a turtle ornament.
Should I do a water change, and if so, what percentage? I've been waiting patiently for this tank to cycle and I really don't wanna screw it up at this point :( , any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.:)

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
I know where you are going with this, JW, and you're probably right :eek: I was thinking the same thing, I must have dosed the tank with more than 5ppm in the first place *crazysmil . If that is the case, wouldn't I have still seen some kind of reduction in the ammonia? If I do need to do a water change, can you please advise me as to how much I can safely change without upsetting the bacteria balance? Thanks so much for your prompt reply :)

Grahams

Medium Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Syracuse, NY
If 6 is the top of your scale than its possible it is decreasing, but you have not been able to see it yet. Do a good 30% water change and that should help lower the ammonia. The bacteria is in the filter so a water change wont disrupt it.

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Thanks Grahams :) I did the 30 percent water change, waited a couple of hours and re-tested. Now my readings are:
Ammonia----4ppm
Nitrites----1ppm
Nitrates----between 5 & 10 ppm
I see the water change has reduced the ammonia, but it's also reduced my other readings. I hope this doesn't slow my cycle any further, my patience is running low, lol, and I have a great lil betta who I'm sure is anxious to move into his new pad.:cool:

Grahams

Medium Fish
Sep 4, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Thanks Grahams :) I did the 30 percent water change, waited a couple of hours and re-tested. Now my readings are:
Ammonia----4ppm
Nitrites----1ppm
Nitrates----between 5 & 10 ppm
I see the water change has reduced the ammonia, but it's also reduced my other readings. I hope this doesn't slow my cycle any further, my patience is running low, lol, and I have a great lil betta who I'm sure is anxious to move into his new pad.:cool:
It shouldn't slow your cycle down any noticeable amount. Id guess around a week till its finished.