Upper Marlboro, MD
that is large enough for a 7" barred midas female to escape to,
but too small for a large 9" male w/ a nuchal hump
too enter? Please help. Thanks.

BBOY : :(

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
You could probably find one at your local fish store, or what I would suggest is to go out and find some rocks yourself and build one. Looks more natural and of course it will save you a few dollars. :)

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
it'll be tricky to find one of perfect size, so i'd do what mainer suggested and build my own, i'd also recommend silconing the rocks together as midas can be rough with stuff like that.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Can you put any rocks you find in a tank with no problems? I know seashells will raise the pH due to the calcium, but what about common rocks you find on the street or in the park?

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Hi there! If you have a river/creek/ocean nearby you can get rocks there as well...just make sure you scrub them with a stiff brush to clean any sediment off...thats what I did in my mbuna cichlid tank...got a bunch of river rocks and they work really good for caves!

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
me and the wife made a day of it, took the 4 wheeler down some paths near a local creek, strapped a milk crate on the front and went for a ride, we found all kinds of great rocks, its a nice way to kill an afternoon too.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Just make sure that any rocks that go in freshwater tanks are not soluble,calcareous or artificial stuff made from unsealed concrete unless you're looking for a hardwater tank.Also rocks with metallic content should be avoided.

Basalt,Granite,Quartz,Slate and hard Sandstones are all OK.Basically anything that doesn't react to acid.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
I've heard that you can use vinegar to test rocks that react to acid. Just pour a little bit on the rock, and if it bubbles then you shouldn't use it, and if it doesn't then it should be fine to use. Like TLH says, don't use rocks that have any metallic content. :)

Fish_friend, I don't think there are any coconuts big enough for bboy's fish! :p