where do u guys buy liverock?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
how much are you buying? I always try to stay local if I can, but LR is like 8-9$ a pound at my lfs. there are pluses to both systems. LFS you get to hand pick your rock, online is cheap, and if you get enough of it, you can get most of the sizes and shapes you want/need.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea...that piece your looking for is what people at lfs call a "show piece" they are hard to come buy, sought after, and very pricy...... I sold a piece like that size for about 250$ anyways good luck finding a piece like that, where is cocoa beach?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've asked my lfs to bring me some boxes in with their next shipment. This works out very well.

The problem with a very , very large bit is it might not fit in a standard fish box, which means it will be a p.i.t.a. to collect and ship, and so will be very expensive. Try getting 2 or 3 bits and gluing/ziptieing them together

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The advantage of getting your lfs to ship some extra boxes especially for you is that you get mixed in with their shipping costs, saving money for you, plus it never goes in their system, so while you should expect them to charge something for doing all the paperwork for you, and bing in on their wholesale cost, it should be like wholesale + 25% maybe (guess).

LR is shipped in old fish boxes. I have to assume you know what these look like - polystyrene 16 inch cubes and a second, larger rectangular size. I think a piece 40 inches long is just too big to go in one of these, amking the shipping a real pain. A shame as I much, much prefer to use big pieces.

FWIW I think that would be about 40 or so pounds of Fiji/Pacific. If it was the aquacultured stuff I fear to think

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
We're talking 44 pounds as a single piece here. I feel your pain - I would likeone of those as well. You could always make he thing out of 'aragocrete' (google that word for the recipe)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
if you wait some florida stuff can get that big, but expext to pay for it...i sold a piece at 30 lbs for about 300$ it was sweet, I would have paid more for it to be in my tank, but I have no more room...anyways good luck

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
wayne said:
We're talking 44 pounds as a single piece here. I feel your pain - I would likeone of those as well. You could always make he thing out of 'aragocrete' (google that word for the recipe)
I wasnt talking about one peice. I think that I got sommewhere around a dozen. There are larger peices and smaller peices.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I worked at a lfs, and we sell it for different prices depending on where it is from, usually around 7-8$/lb, ur in florida so you are very lucky, LR is cheap, the reason why we sold that rock for 10$/ lb was because it was a fantastic 30 lbs piece filled with holes and crevices, it was soo sweet, and for size wayne, they got some very large pieces like that and had to ship them in special boxes, it was about 30" long 5-7 wide and like 3-4 thick.