Where do you get your Bettas?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I have seen hundreds and hundreds of pictures of GEORGIOUS bettas, but in the LFS they all look half dead most of the time and I am not finding much online. I looked at aquabid, but I am a little confused, it seems to me that the Veiltails are the most common beta, yet there is hardly ANYTHING in that catagory. There the only ones I REALLY like. Some of ther others can be OK, but why no veiltails?

Is there another site like aquabid that has veiltails? Or any sight with individual pics of bettsa for sale?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Well considering how Bettas are kept in fish stores then it is understandable why they aren't that pretty when you are looking at them. I always get my Bettas at Walmart... lets control ourselves, people... Once you get them home and they are in a heated filtered tank you would be so surprised at the improvement! They really color up beautifully. They are like any other fish, when kept in the prime environment it really brings out their colors and personallities. I would suggest you get one at your lfs. It always seems so silly to me to pay that much money for shipping and stuff for such a common fish as a betta. They are kinda like pound puppies, why go out and pay more when you get one locally that really needs to a home. Good luck. I hope you find a pretty one.

Here is a pic of mine. This was when he was in a 10gallon without a heater. He is now in a 5.5 gallon with a heater and he is even better looking. He was practically colorless when I first got him a few days before this pic was taken.

Last edited:

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
Yes the ones at walmart are really pretty believe it. My co worker got one last week and he is purple red fins and grey!!! Absoluty wonderfull!!

I get mine at petco.
i saw the ones at PetSmart and well they don't look all that great. I had to go there lastnight for a litter box and soft food for my 20yr old cat and I was looking at the betta's and had to resist the urge to take them home.

I might get another one soon

Last edited:

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Grey!!! WOW! One thing I can say about Walmart's bettas is that they seem to have some great color variations to them. Now, that being said, they are probably bred all to hell but they still come out with some great colors none the less.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Ebay has lots of Bettas but alot are costly. The ones you see in pet stores don't look so good because they are cold and depressed from being confined to cups. I got my Betta at Petsmart (Avatar) and his coloring turned out quite well.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
If I were to get one (I want one!!!) I would most likely go to my LFS, but if their bettas dont look too healthy, ill check walmart, because they have some cool looking bettas

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
true colors

Here is my favorite pic of my Betta again. I got him at Petsmart. His finnage and coloring improved alot. Don't be fooled by the ones you see in stores. Once you put the Betta in a warm, filtered, & clean aquarium you see his true colors right away;)

[/URL][/IMG]

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Wow, yeah I guess tha's what I'll do, I have a favorite pet store that usually has some, but they have them in the stupid cups and they just look so bad, I really feel for them. I do tend to save alot of animals though, maybe I can use this 5g afterall. :D

We can't really afford to convert the other tanks I have in planning quite yet, but maybe hubby will give me the OK to get a heater, filter, and light for the 5g. Any suggestions for low cost effective supplies?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Heheh I know all about craigslist and freecycle, my husband has nearly banned me from them though LOL. I find things here and there though.

What do you all think about the Palm filter? Would it be OK for a betta in a 5g (and maybe a couple other insignificant inhabitants)? What about the Palm light? I know nothing about lighting, but I would like maybe a couple moss balls and a plant or two, so I am guessing the Palm is not good enough?

Also, should I get a 25 or 50 watt heater? the 25 is rated for 5g, but would I be able to maintain temps with a 50w, or would it be too much?

May 12, 2005
Georgia
Shaunna said:
Here is a pic of mine. This was when he was in a 10gallon without a heater. He is now in a 5.5 gallon with a heater and he is even better looking. He was practically colorless when I first got him a few days before this pic was taken.
Shaunna, I think I have your Bettas twin brother! I bought mine at Walmart and we call him Angelito. I will have to post a picture of him. We also have two other Bettas that we bought at Walmart. the oldest one is almost three years old now and they all are beautiful!

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I got mine from Petco too. He was just sitting on the bottom of the cup and was pretty but not vibrant. Almost immediatly after being introduced to his new home he got very bright.
This is him after being in his new tank for about a half hour:

Now he's colored up even more.....he's bright purple (looks blue in the pic) and his 2 front fins that hang down are bright red and there is some streaks of bright red in his tail and belly fin. He's beautiful and I love him :D