where my 55 stands

Sep 9, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
ph - 8.3

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate - 0ppm

i am just at 4 weeks now. I did one water change about a week ago but that is it. Two Damsels that have been living since day 1, still doing well. I added about 20 hermit crabs, 20 turbo/astrea snails to help clean up. I also treated with Chemi-Clean. Between the chemi-clean and cleanup crew my rocks no longer have any cynaobacteria (red slime) and looks way better than it did. I am adding a LawnMower Blenny today and going to see what happens with it. I have also been adding C-Balance part a and b a couple times a week and wih that and the help of my 260watts of PC's lighting system, I am already starting to notice some coraline algae growth. I think all is going well, hopefully the blenny will do well. My red sea prizm deluxe protein skimmer is on order and i should hopefully have it within the next few days.

Thanks for all the help in the boards

Any more comments/suggestions/help
Please let me know.

Attachments

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Your puffer may eat the crabs and snails. It depends on the individual fish. Many fish are not categorized as being invertabrate safe because a lot of specimans eat them. An example would be the Picasso Triggerfish. Most cannot stay with crustaceans because they tend to gobble them up the minute they see them. However some individuals may ignore them. I would watch carefully. If you have an increasingly less amount of invertabrates, I would lose the puffer. Who knows though, maybe you got lucky.

Sam Reef

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You bought a fish with cloudy eye's cheap (which means the shop thinks it's going to die)and put him in your main display with no quarantine and no research on if he'd fit in? I would strongly advise you to think a bit more before you slap down your money else you could end up in a bit of trouble. 'An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure'
Typically cloudy eyes can be fixed by maintaining very high quality water conditions, but it's not certain. Get that skimmer working a.s.a.p.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
By the time you return you could have a tank full of ich or whatever. It's irrelevant that you work in a shop. Bad habits to get into.

Sep 9, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
the puffer is still in my tank and his eyes are still cloudy, but look better than before.

I got a pro clear aquatics skimmer running now. Im not gonna be able to run it all the time though b/c my canopy will not fit over the collection cup. You think its ok just to run it sometimes? Or do i need to cut a chunk in my canopy?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's better to run it full time, but it depends on how much you stock and how much you need to chop the hood up. I've done similar in the past and after a month or so I chopped it as I was done fiddling around balancing the hood on top of the tank. It's also trickier to tune a skimmer that's turned on and off repeatedly.

Sep 9, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
ive checked some of the posts on diatoms. but this brown stuff in my sand, is it better to keep mixing up the sand with my magfloat and hands to make it look better at that moment? Or should I just let it keep getting uglier and worse and it will eevntually dissapear?

i was wondering if i keep mixing it up if that just slows the process of it going away. but i just cant help but take my mag-float and shake that nasty stuff outta the sand!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
This will just spread it out. I would personally just leave it until it goes away. If you cannot stand it you could siphonout the sand and wash it in water.

Sam Reef