Where the heck do I buy Ammonia for fishless cycle?!?!

Oct 29, 2005
I am just about fed up...I'm trying to do a fishless cycle with bio-spira...

I've been to Target, Walmart, K-mart, Publix (local grocery store), CVS, Walgreens, Big Lots, Family Dollar. And no Pure Ammonia!!

Everytime I do find it, it is lemon scented or something. The closest I got was something called "Clear Ammonia" at Walmart and Publix, but both contained "Ammonia & Surfactant" which I've read is a no-no. It's supposed to be just pure ammonia or with water right?

So where do I go? I'm trying to do the humane thing here but this is a bit frustrating and I might just throw some "hardy" fish in there along with the bio...

Please advise. Thnx.

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
I think you have to have fish to do a Bio-spira cycle. I'd get a hardy fish to put in there until everything stabilizes I like guppies because they're pretty.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, you don't need ammonia to cycle with bio-spira. Just make sure its been refridgerated and the bacteria is still good, plop it in the tank according to the instructions, and add fish. That's it.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I found my ammonia at ACO Hardware. I had a heck of a time finding it around here. The problem with using ammonia with bio-spira is that it's VERY easy to add too much ammonia and kill it all off.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I used the Walmart ammonia. As long as it doesn't foam when you shake it, it should be fine. I believe the one I got was called "Great Value Clear Ammonia." Ingredients are listed as water, ammonia and chelating agents.

There's really no point in using ammonia and Bio-Spira together. The nice thing about ammonia is that for a dollar you can probably cycle about 100 tanks. With ammonia, you also get the added benefit of actually experiencing how the cycle works and get a better understanding of your tank.