Where to find pure ammonia?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Need to do a fishless cycle soon.

I've tried a grocery store, BLowes and a local hardware store. Two only carried lemon scented and yellow dyed ammonia. The grocery store had an el'cheapo house brand, clear, unscented, but it lists "surfactant" as the only other ingredient. Thing is, it forms absolutely no bubbles when you shake it? What I'm thinking is, how can you have surfactants w/out bubbles? Not sure if I should risk it, but that pretty much exhausts my local sources and getting a chunk of someone's used filter media probably wont happen either, since I currently know no-one with a tank!

OTOH, I'm amazed at the "tank starter" magical potions available at Petco and Petsmart.

Joel

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
In my experience pure ammonia is not easy if not impossible to find. Some places carry no ammonia of any kind anymore (Home Depot for one) Some on this forum either feed the tank with fish food or use a dead shrimp, like the kind you would cook and eat. As is rots the tank will build ammonia. Fact is, I did read some where that these two ways would be better than the bottled ammonia anyway because of the type of beneficial bacteria that come into play.