Where'd they come from?

Aug 25, 2007
Ok, we have a 10 gallon tank that we have had up and running for a couple of years now but we have always tried to keep it as simple as possible so we have 3 mickey mouse plattys and 3 black skirted tetras. We DID have a gold mystery snail, two at one point actually. The last one died a few months ago and we never replaced it. Now yedterday we did a 50% water change and then we noticed there are 11 (at least that i saw and counted) what looks like teeny tiny baby gold mystery snails in the tank. I dont know how that happened or if i need to do anything special for them. I do know its going to probably be way to many for a tank our size and we are not prepared to buy a larger tank, so if these are baby snails, What do i do?

SAE

Small Fish
Apr 14, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Are you sure they're not pond snails?
If you think they're apple's, you only need to feed them some good high calcium veggies for their shells. Once they're large enough (dime size), and waterchanges are becoming an issue, you can likely give them away or sell them to pet stores, and other fish folk.
If it turns out you have lots of babies, and an applesnail clutch can contain lots, some breeders use tupperware bins as grow-out containers, so that's a possibility too.
Check out applesnail.net for lots of good info about raising, feeding, water quality etc.

Aug 25, 2007
I am not for sure what kind of snail they are. We did have A gold mystery snail but it has been dead and removed from the tank about 5 months ago. They look just like a much smaller version of it though. they are only about the size of a pin head though so it is difficult to tell much. I hate to get rid of them except to the pet shop or something unless they are going to harm our fish though.

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
You can have all the snails out of my tank since you seem to enjoy them :) I got mine from some plants that I bought. I have been trying to eradicate them ever since. I think you should try to get rid of them or find out what they are right away, before they become a problem.