Wheres the Ammonia?

stagger19

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Hi, I started my 12 Gal Eclipse system up again last weeknd. I added 8 zebra danios to start the cycle process last Sun. Here it is a week later and Im surprised there is no ammonia, or nitrites showing on my test kit.
I verified my test is working properly.

Dont get me wrong, Im glad the ammonia is zero, but I know sooner or later the spike will come.

Any ideas how long it should take before I start to see the ammonia increase, and spike?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Do you have a nitrate test kit? Danios are not very messy...so it might be awhile before you start to see any ammonia or nitrite spikes. You might also not see an ammonia spike...but just seeing nitrites instead. I like testing for nitrates (as long as there aren't any in your tap water) because then I know SOMETHING is happening.

What temperature are you keeping the tank at?

stagger19

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
No Im not using an ammo lock or anything simalir.

Im keeping the tank at 77 deg. I will check for nitrates tonight to see if maybe the cycle is proceeding.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You might bump the temperature up a bit...generally things move faster the closer to 80 that you get...and the danios wont mind.

And...if you still dont have anything after another week then..hmm...I dont know. I guess just be patient.

stagger19

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Ok thanks for your Help froggy. I checked tonight and zero ammonia, nitrites, and maybe a tad of nitrates. I dont over feed my fish either, plus as you mentioned the zebras are on the cleaner side, so I guess thats the delay in my cycle. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Again.