Which aquarium?

Finney

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2005
Can anyone help me decide which of the following 20 gallon aquariums would be the best to buy? I’m a beginner and want to get something that will keep my fish happy and healthy and that will stand up to being moved every now and then (I’m a student)!

Marineland 20 gallon kit with hood, light, heater, filter (not sure what model); or Waterhome 20 gallon with Aquaclear 150 filter, Elite Radiant heater (not submersible), hood, light etc; or an Angel brand 20 gallon with Cascade 150 filter, submersible heater, hood, light etc. They're all about the same price, but I'm not sure which filter is better.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting a 20 gallon long aquarium (30” X 12” X 12”) rather than a normal 20 gallon (24” X 12” X 16”)? Is one better for viewing the fish?

Is it best to get a special purpose-built aquarium stand, or will a sturdy “non-aquarium” cabinet be ok?

Thanks for any advice!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi Finney & Welcome to the tank!

I am not familiar with all those brands, so I will only make a few comments:

1. Marineland is a pretty good brand, never heard of waterhome or angel.
2. I like AquaClear filters, but Cascades are also well respected.
3. Submersible heaters give you more options down the road. I would suggest a 150w heater for a 20gal.

a) Long tanks give you more surface area but take-up more wall space. More surface area gives you better oxygene to water ratios.
b) Taller tanks give you the water volume without taking up to much room, and are better for taller fish varieties.

i) Specially-built fish stands give you a quick, no-work solution but give you limited color and design options.
ii) Home-made stands need to be able to support about 10 pounds per gallon, so sturdy in you case is strong enough for a 200 lb man to stand on-top.

There is no absolute right answers to which kit you choose. If this is your first tank system, look for flexibility first. Your going to find yourself experimenting quite a bit a first, so get the system that offers the most (larger filter, heater, socket vs flourescent lighting) options.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I personally have a big beef with cascade filters. I got one of their very expensive cannister filters and everytime I turn around the thing is broke. It now is just sitting there with the motor clunking and out of operation. Now I have a hot magnum which I have had much better success with. That filter would just stop running or better yet - once it leaked and got my fish stand all wet in the middle of the night so I had to tear it down get a new, better wrought iron stand, and start over.

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
if you have the space for it, i'd take a 20g long over a normal 20g anyday. in a tank around that sized, i find length much more important than height for viewing pleasure in addition to improved oxygen exchange. most fish swim left-to-right and not up-to-down as well, so it may be good for them, too.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've been a fan of long tanks for many years. The increased surface area, as mentioned, provides better oxygenation for fish. Moreover, you can push the limits of your bioload as well. I like the better viewing and the extra length gives the fish a longer "run". Dethjam also brought up a point I never thought of ... but he's right. I know many folks with std 20's and the fish occupy and swim in the middle 3rd almost always.

The only "disadvantage" is you are somewhat limited on the height of plants. But I've never found that to offset the advantages of long tanks. Pruning, plant selection as to size, offsets that "disadvantage.

IMO, I would go with the AquaClear. They are bulletproof. They also have a nice addition now. Besides the sponge, they supply ceramic rings that not only filter but increase the area for bacterial colony growth. The top part of the filter box also allows for other media ... I use plain old filter wool. You never have to buy cartridges.
There is also a flow control ....important during feeding or with plants.

The heater ... well... I agree the submersible heater is a hands down winner. You have more options as to where to place it plus if your water level by evaporation or cleaning happens to drop low ... it is not a problem. With the rim clamp heater... you have to watch the water levels and unplug it when you do water changes or cleaning.

The "rule of thumb" for heaters is 5W/gallon. I've always found this to be more than adequate.

Finney

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you all so much for your great advice... but I just found out today that my Dad's friend is moving and has a nice aquarium, custom stand and all equipment that I can buy for a really good price *BOUNCINGS ! He said it's about 25-30 gallons, which is great because I'll have room for a few more fish! Anyway, I'm pretty excited and hope to get it later this week if it's in good shape.