which bulbs shall I choose?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I got paid today and I would like to finally purchase my Tek Light fixture from here: eBay: TEK LIGHT T5 HO 4ft / 4 LAMP FLUORESCENT AQUARIUM LITE (item 140001760854 end time Jul-05-06 16:49:33 PDT).
Forgive me, I forget how to hyperlink cleanly. I know the auction has ended, so I plan on either dropping the seller an email or calling.
My question is, if my choices are Giesemann Blue Actinic Plus or Blue, Midday, Aquablue, and Pure Actinic Plus or True Actinic, which combo should I get? Keep in mind I need four bulbs.
My current setup is 2x65 watt PCs that are 10000/6500K and 420/460nm bulbs. I really like the color, so my guess is go with two actinics and two daylight bulbs? Is it that simple? Which actinic should I go for?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would go for one actinic, and use three for sometihng actually useful. As to which ctinic.... ask, find some spectral graphs and see which has the most PAR output

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I'm planning on keeping it simple: soft corals (xenia, leathers, etc) and the "LPS" types.
Still trying to find the time to order. I've been having a lot of car trouble in the past few weeks, so the money flow to my aquarium is nil.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'd hardly call many lps simple - I find the amount of feeding they commonly need a p.i.t.a. wrt to keeping water quality up to whack. While they don't seem to 'mind' less than perfect water you know for sure that it stops calcification and growth and while they may not mind, the algae problems get old. I'd rather go for easy peasy sps to go with the softies you list. you can also bear in mind that the reef positions for the softies you mention don't have much to do with a lot of the common lagoonal lps.
Also fish tend to nip them a bit more often than sps, and if you're tight for cash sps frags of the real easy corals are pretty much dirt cheap.

Not trying to put you off lps as they are exceptionally beautiful and often pretty tough to kill, but don't stop all your options in other areas if you want easy.