Which cichilid can be kept together?

aghenthe

Small Fish
Nov 30, 2011
Hello,
I would like to start a cichlid tank. I want to get the information about which cichilid can be kept together.I was wondering which can go together as well as which are fairly easy for a beginner? Thanks so much!

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Cichlids are really cool fish, but they are not for beginners (I'm kinda self-contradicting myself since I just started fish keeping this summer lol). You might want to start out with a 20 gallon (preferably a long) and buy a pair of German Blue Ram cichlids. I think they are pretty easy starter fish; however, usually they are sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. They enjoy some sand (you may want to look into black) and a pH of 6.0-7.0.
I currently house a female in a 10G (yes I know I have a 20G), and I will plan on moving her. You could also add some Bolivian Rams (They share the same needs as the German Blue Rams). Just make sure that you do not get a breeding pair of either species, because, like all cichlids, they will become aggressive when mating.

Hope this helps!

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
There are plenty of cichlids for beginners, most are pretty easy and not to much different then community fish except for they have BAD tempers and most get really big.
Also, cichlids have BIG personalities. When I was acclimatizing my ram a few hours ago to my 20G, she suddenly jumped out of the cup I put her in and into the tank. She sure gave me a shock and a "DUUUUEEAAH!" She must have been thinking, "I want out!" If she understood what I was doing then she would have waited. When she flopped into the tank she became shocked and made a super long strand of fecal matter. >___>