Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Which Cichlids are easy to take care of?

Discussion in 'Cichlid Discussion' started by fishydude22, Sep 20, 2003.

1. fishydude22

fishydude22 Banned

I was wondering which cichlids are easy to take care of . I really like Severums. I was wondering if I were to ever have a cichlid community tank(the aggressive types). Which types could go well together?.Which size tank would be enough to hold a bunch of aggressive cichlids?. For example: What would a 75 gallon hold?
    If anyone has any good combanation ideas.
    Please Reply thanks.

#1 fishydude22, Sep 20, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2003

2. beaver8888

beaver8888 Large Fish

75 is good for like 2-3 oscars most cichlids are very hardy and easy to take care of try jacks maybe

3. lightning

lightning Large Fish

depends on your taste, would you rather have 2-3 large fish or 10-12 medium fish?
    i have had really good luch with my mbuna's they are active colorful and fun to watch

Attached Files:

4. fishydude22

fishydude22 Banned

I like:
    Jack Dempsey's,Severums,Convicts,Firemouths,Green Terror's,Blue Jack Dempsey's,Texas Cichlids,Flowerhorn cichlid's.(I wonder what they can go with?).

5. 420Loach

420Loach Superstar Fish

jacks are cool*thumbsups him and my convict get along great:D

6. Fish are cool

Fish are cool Large Fish

I like Angelfish, they are very cool. I used to own a black male and an all white female. They all got along with my 2 mollys and 4 platies in my 29 gallon tank.
    It also depends on the tank size, cause you cannot put an oscar into a 10 gallon, you just cant...

7. Cichlid-Man

Cichlid-Man MFT Staff

Alot of these fish get pretty big and aggressive.

Convicts are very hardy. But will breed like mad and sometimes get you stressed out....LOL

You could put maybe 3-4 of these larger fish together in a 75gal tank. Just remember they get big and territorial. Most cichlids do but these are on the larger side.

8. moricollins

moricollins Large Fish

you could go with any number of cichlids, you could create a killer shell dwelling cichlid tank, with shell dwellers from lake tanganika (sp?) such as lamprologous brevis, or lamp. ocellatus, or neolamp. multifasciatus. these fish are all small, so you can put a large number of then in a tank.

that;'s what i would do if i could afford to.

9. Managuense

Managuense Superstar Fish

large shellie tanks look very plain and almost boring IMO, though i do love multies quite a bit. :)

now shellies and a nice school of cyprichromis.....

do you have any more specific qualities you are looking for in a tank?
    M

10. SoulFish

SoulFish Superstar Fish

i agree with managuense about the shellies, if you are going to have shellies in a large tank a school of cyps is a must, as for tank size for larger south american cichlids, as big as you can get and then decide what to get from that

11. fishydude22

fishydude22 Banned

Can:
    Jack Dempsey's,Severums,Convicts,Firemouths,Green Terror's,Blue Jack Dempsey's,Texas Cichlids,Flowerhorn cichlid's all get along in let's say a 100 gallon?

12. Cichlid-Man

Cichlid-Man MFT Staff

Yes it is possible, but it is also possible that you have Fight Night at the MGM Grand in your tank with ALL of the Heavy Hitters attending.

If you want all.......go bigger (tank) :D

I agree about the shellies...........that'd be one AWSOME tank.

13. cawah

cawah Large Fish

http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/page.cfm/Type=Fish/ID=208

This site is pretty helpful! They color code the text by levels of agression and provide a nice general view. Just browse the left for more fish. Personally, since there are not that many green level cichlids, I'd go with yellow as good =D

14. Dempsy23

Dempsy23 New Fish

Jack Dempy's and Oscars do very well together. Jack Dempy's are beautiful fish to look at, and the Oscar is a rather creative fish also. In a 75 Gallon tank, I would reccomend 1 Oscar and 2 Jacks. The Oscar will grow to be more than a foot long, and the Jacks will get about 10 inches.. if you allow them enough room to grow to a full size. Have fun with them!!

15. SoulFish

SoulFish Superstar Fish

hm if you wanted peaceful and you like severums, i would think youd like severum, uaru, geophagus setup, they are all large and peaceful

16. Gunnie

Gunnie Large Fish

I currently have 2 oscars & 2 jack dempseys in a 100 gal. tank with a large pleco. They have their moments, but seem to generally get along. All fighting so far is mostly posturing - no injuries. They are fun to watch!

17. DarthV

DarthV Small Fish

No it will not work. A dempsey, oscar and severum probably would though. I would not mix a flowerhorn with anything in a 100gal tank, unless you have a divider. The texas might work with the dempsey and a convict...but the texas would be much more aggressive than all the others but the flowerhorn.

18. Somonas

Somonas Superstar Fish

The shelldweller ideas are good, you could also do a nice group of african (mbuna or peacocks) in a 75 but do your research to prevent crossbreeding.

(I am partial to african cichlid tanks myself. but everyone here knows that) :D

19. fishydude22

fishydude22 Banned

Crossbreeding is cool. It's very interesting to see what comes out.*PEACE!*

20. Angelfish boi

Angelfish boi Small Fish

i like the sound of that 2 jacks and an oscar, u should go 4 that, i've always liked jack dempseys and i saw an oscar at the fish store the other day and its was huge but really cool, it sort of followed me around a bit, probably thought i had food :)

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!