Which fish and how many?

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
I got a 5 gallon hex for my dorm room a week ago. I ran it for a day and then added 3 corkscrew plants and a Black mystery snail. Its still cycling but I am wondering how many fish to get and what kinds. I was thinking of either neons or white clouds but I'm not sure if I can keep enough of them for them to be happy in the little tank. Would I beable to keep a small schaol in a 5 gallon?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
A betta would love that tank! Find a pretty one, maybe one of the fancier varieties and maybe try some shrimp. I've never tried shrimp and bettas before but am sure someone here has and would know how predatory bettas might be.

Oct 24, 2005
Betta would be nice, especially if you could get one of those dividers and put a couple in there.

You're pretty limited in a 5 gallon, but just check for adult sizes on any fish you add. The old rule of 1" of fish per gallon will lead you down the right path. A few white clouds or tetra would be fine, provided you have a decent filter that will provide at least a little current.

Good Luck, have fun, and Welcome to the Tank!

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm leaning towards a getting a betta now. I didn't know you could have 2 with a divider. I think I might try that.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
You could also probably get away with a betta and say, 4 neons or white clouds, depending on the temperament of the betta. Some bettas are pretty laid-back while others are extremely aggressive. I kept a betta with neons and white clouds in a ten gallon and they didn't bother each other, but some people's bettas have eaten the neons.

Did you get the Eclipse Hex 5? I just got mine today for my betta and some snails. Just getting ready to set it up :D

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
yeah it's the Eclipse hex 5. I love it its so quiet. I had a disasterous 2.5 tank with a goldfish before I knew what I was doing at all with aquariums. The pump was so loud I couldn't concentrate and the goldfish got sick and I returned him. I'm so glad forums like these exist. I've learned so much.

Sep 16, 2005
i had two ghost shrimp in an eclipse corner 5 with my betta and they ignored each other completely. and my boyfriend keeps algae eating shrimp in his ten gallon with a female betta, and they also ignore each other perfectly well.

a pair of small cories might make good betta tankmates... after my shrimp died my betta got a pair of albino cory friends. he poked at them curiously when i was floating their bag to get them acclimated, but once they were released into the tank they were completely oblivious to each other's existence.

timmie2

Small Fish
Nov 1, 2005
I have a male Betta in a 10g with albino cories and so far they get along great. Sometimes Timmie, the betta, stands guard over their veggie wafer when it's dropped in, but he loses interest pretty quick, and the cories get their meal.
Timmie2