Which fish for new tank?

garyr

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2007
My 55 has begun to cycle which gives me time to decide which fish I want for the tank. Since Discus might be too much for a beginner such as myself, I'm thinking that a half dozen Silver Dollars and four Anglefish might be happy in the tank. My question is, which other fish might be compatible with these fish? And are all species of Anglefish compatible with each other? I'm thinking some sort of algae eater might be a good idea and maybe a couple other fish. Suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2007
I think silver dollars and angels would be a good combo. Maybe you could throw in 5 or six cory cats for clean up. Maybe some sun/bullseye catfish? You decide, there are thousands of fish to choose from. But don't buy dyed/painted/tattooed fish. Neon tetras are good, but I'm not sure if they'd suffice in a tank with angels.

I believe that angle species get along together, but it depends on the fish in the long run.

Make sure your tank is completely cycled before purchasing any fish, though.

What ever you do, have fun with it or why did you get the tank in the first place, ya know?! Just have fun.

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
I did some research on the sun catfish, and I would think a 55g isn't gonna be big enough do to the fact they get to be about 18+ inches long. A big school of silver dollars would be nice, as would a school of cories. I don't know much about angels other than they look nice but that is about it. Let us know what you decide!

Justin

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Any color/fin angel has the potential to get along with others... they're just selectively bred from the same species. You want to start with small ones so they've got a chance to pair up.

Otos or a bristlenose pleco make good algae cleanup.

You've got a lot of room on the bottom. Like suggested, maybe a big shoal of cories (in a 55g I'd probably get at least 8). Or a group of yoyo or kuhli loaches. Basically the bottom is open for whatever you like.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I don't think silver dollars are a good idea, keep in mind that these fish grow to be the size of dinner plates. Angels can also be a bit tricky to keep alive for the beginner and can limit what else you can add since they can be a bit nippy. I would suggest starting with a school of around 6 hardy schooling fish. Take a look at danios, blood fin tetras, and others until you get your tank maintainance down pat.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Personally Im not fond of Silver Dollars. They are different so I geuss in a sense neat. But they are very prone to ich and are generally extremely skittish. (there are some excepetions) I think that Angels would be fine in your tank. Just make them the last fish that you enter into your tank that way your sure everything is safe for them. Angels tend to be more nippy between themselves (not meaning they cant be kept together) but Ive never had one that attacked anyother fish in a tank before. :confused: