which is which

Jun 22, 2006
metropolis, IL
hey i'm getting a 55 gal. and a 20 gal. i want to have one of them as a brackish tank with monos, glassfish, mollies, and bb gobies. which tank should be a brackish and which fresh with my blue gourami, and an angel and some GBRs or BRs, and a pleco for sure.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well, I could be wrong - but I think the 20 gallon is a little small for either of those tasks.

IIRC, monos get very large, so they would certainly need the 55 gallon (if not larger - someone help me out here).

Then, that leaves a gourami, angel, rams, and a pleco (what kind of pleco?) in a 20 gallon. My gut instinct is that this would work with either the angel or the gourami, but probably not both. Maybe pick one or the other, and fill in with a school of tetras?

Also, I wouldn't put a common pleco in a tank that size - but you could put a bristlenose, rubbernose, or clown pleco in there and be ok, probably...

Sukielee3

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2006
i would honestly say the 20 should have less fish, but if they are doing fine and not fighting over territories then i could be wrong, but which ever group has the most fish i would put in the 55

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Since you don't have these tanks yet, is it possible to get a 55g for the brackish and a 29-30g for the freshwater? That would allow you enough room for all the FW fish. This is assuming you get one of the smaller plecos. I think, in a 20g, you might have conflicts between the angel/gourami but with a little more room they should be fine. It would also give you room for a small school or another oddball fish that is compatible.