which place online sale live rock?

Mar 31, 2006
Minnesota
Premiumaquatics, Liveaquaria, and Marinedepotlive are some places that I know that sell live rock. I ordered around 10lbs of Fiji live rock from Premiumaquatics and it was some quality rock and the price was reasonable.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I bought all my rock from Premium Aquatics, though I hand picked it and bought it directly there. I have ordered numerous times from them and have found that their customer service is number one. They are awesome to deal with. If you call them they will pick exactly what you want and their prices are good. I know that their cured rock is good as I added it to my tank and it cycled almost immediately with virtually little or no die off. While there I saw them unloading a shipment that had just come in and they were scrubbing it and putting it into their curing tanks and it was awesome rock.

The marshall that I got is really porous and light (more rock/lb) though marshall rock has less life on it that say fiji or tonga. I would mix it up. 10 of one and 10 of another. They also sell nano rock which is smaller pieces and cheaper. The rock I got was actually 5 pieces with a total weight of 140lbs. The average rock weight was between 25-30 lbs each. It makes it harder to move around but there is less chance of rockfalls etc when it is one piece.

closer view

this was at about 6 weeks old

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
The more water you have in the tank, the more dilluted the dieoff will be, so you might as well have the full 55 gallons in there while you cure it. You never want to mix up new saltwater inside of the actual aquarium if there's anything alive inside--always do this in a separate container.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
oh...don't do this blindly. It's cool that you ask, but those questions are scary. If you have the chance to get " the conscientitous marine aquarist " by bob Fenner or " the new marine aquarium " by M. Paletta . I have. But i bought them a little late a made some errors that i could avoid.

Usually you mix your salt in a bucket or container. IF there's nothing in your tank ( maybe except dry substrate ) you could do the first salt batch in the tank. You fill you tank almost completely with water ( like maybe a couple of inch under the top ), depending of much LR you have. If you wanna put 30g of water and you end up with 34g when the rock is in...it's gonna be harder for you to have the salinity you want after that when you need to put more water ( mixed with salt not in the tank )
In a way, it'll help you pratice with your hydrometer/refractometer but it's not safe when you begin ).
Follow the instructions for mixing the salt. I mix 2,5 cups in a 5g water. Don't put all the salt in your tank blindly. When you check your salinity level, be sure that the new water is at the same temp as the one in your tank .
You may wanna pass on tap water. If you have some $ left, try to get a reverse osmosis unit to filter the water. It'll save you headaches and money.
Unwanted algaes everywhere is not fun.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I've already read that 2nd book you suggessted and it was quite helpful. I don't have anything in my tank right now. The LR is next. I have water in my tank, but there is no salt in there. I don't think I can afford a RO unit so anything else I can do do help the clarity of the water? I just wanted to know if I mix up enough salt water for my 55 gallon tank, but when I add the LR the water is going to overflow. So I wanted to know what the proper way to do it would be. Or could I just fill it to 55 gallon of salt mixed water and take off a inch or two to avoid it from over flowing.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
If phosphates gets in your rock it's pretty hard to remove it. For 150 $ you can have a decent to/di unit to clarify your water. On the long run, it's better than any crap removal products. If you spend 10$ on Purigen and another 10 $ for rowaphos or phosban every 2 weeks...it can be costly for nothing. If all your rock and substrate is covered with algaes, a cleanup crew will not do all the job. Seriously i've tried with tap water for 6 months...always had diatoms and hair algae. Changed to RO/DI...no more. Herbivores can't do all the job.