Which Tank

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I posted last week on the Nano page with questions regarding what size tank would work best, but I have changed my mind and I think I am going to go bigger. I found a great not so LFS that has a large selection of discounted tanks and have narrowed it down to 2 options.
1) Oceanic 56 Gallon Reef Ready
2) Oceanic 46 Gallon Bow Front

I can get either with stand and canopy (which I probably won't use) for under $300. My question is how much of an advantage is it to have a pre-drilled reef ready tank? I like to look of the Bow Front and Stainless Steel stand, but I am not sure if it makes more sense to get the reef ready tank. By the way, it will be a reef tank with a fairly low bio load. I am not sure about the lighting yet, but it will be something that will support most corals. Still researching the lighting.

Thanks.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well if you plan on seting up a sump pre drilled would be the way to go... if you dont know much then youll prolly want to skip the sump

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
Hey rush, I was having the same type of question so I'm gonna kind of hijack your thread :). I was looking at the reef ready tanks on this site Special Requests and was wondering if anyone could comment on the 29 gallon one way down at the bottom, if it looked like a good setup and if $280 was a good price? Where's the not so local fish store at, anywhere towards the binghamton area?

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
Thanks for the replys. I need to do some research on a sump system as I have never run one. My thinking was that the pre-drilled may give me more flexability over the long run. I have also heard that you can rig a canister filiter to run with a pre-drilled tank. Anyone running this type of configuration?

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
Toggil - As you can probably tell, I don't know enough to tell you if that is a good price for that tank. The not so local LFS is in Batavia, NY and is called The Pet Mart. It is a great shop and he has HUNDREDS of tanks and stands at discount prices. Some are "scratch and dent", but many are discontinued or older models but not used. Owners name is Keith and he is very knowledgeable and honest. For example, when I was setting up my 110 and looking for lights, I was unsure of the exact dimensions of the tank. He gave me 2 strip light fixtures and said to take them home and try them out. He said to either bring them back or come back and pay him if they worked! Hard to find shops like that any more. They worked and I paid him. I am out of Oneida, NY and drive to 2.5 hours to give him my business. I know I won't get screwed. PM me if you want directions or need more info. Also, it’s not a great store for livestock (though he is adding a new fish room), but for equipment it’s the best shop I have found. For fish, I go to the Fish Place in North Tonawanda or to Pets Plus (not the chain store) in Lockport. Both have a great selection of fish.

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
I go through batavia all the time, I'm a student in Buffalo and I drive through every time I go home. Too bad you didn't start this thread like a year ago I'm only traveling through one more time.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am not sure why you would want to run a canister if you have a drilled tank and a sump/refugium, unless you are using it to run carbon. A properly set up reef with sufficient live rock and a working dsb and good protein skimmer doesn't require any other filtration.

Personally from experience I would only go reef ready drilled.......especially if your aim is a reef. I would also go with the 56g as a bow front of that size will limit your aquascape as the narrow part is only 12" in depth...... isn't it?

Another bit.....you would always be trying to remove salt spots from that stainless steel.....

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
You should be able to get any tank predrilled from factory w/overflow box built in, you would just have to order it. So if you see a tank you really like just ask him if he can order you one and how much more it will be. I know in town here it is $20 per hole and approx $80 for the overflow box on a 75g tank.