White clouds going nuts

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Ive had 2 white clouds for 3 weeks now and I wanted to add more. The ones I had always seemed kinda bored in there and not very active.. Today I bought 2 more white clouds and I have never seen the previous ones so active since I bought them. I can tell them apart because the ones I had seem fatter than the new ones and their color is darker. I dont know how to sex them but it seems like all of them seem to like opening their fins up like they are flashing at each other and wiggling. I know it sounds weird but it looked like one was doing the twist dance.. lol They also seem to be nipping at each other and chasing each other around.. All 4 are doing this.. Is this normal? Im just amazed at how active the fish are now that there are more of them..

O yeah how do you tell if ones a male or female.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The females are a lot "fatter" while the males are much slimmer. When I added more danios to my school, they swam around happily greeting the newcomers. It sounds like they may be doing a mating dance? Who knows, they may lay some eggs if the fish you had before were females. Most if not all will probably be eaten before you can get to them.

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
Yeah, white clouds are crazy like that. The two by themselves were probably bored before you added the other ones, they are schooling fish and are most active in large groups. The dance you described is the mating dance. The males will line up next to eachother and flash their fins to see who is better.