White Sludgey Stuff

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
There is this white sludgey stuff all over my filter in my 10 gallon. Should I leave it clean it all out some of it? What the heck is it?

Fish are fine
water is fine.

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
probably a combination of dirt and bacteria. you want the bacteria there. if water has trouble going through the filter media, plunk it in a bucket of siphoned water and swig it around to clean it up a bit.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
could also be hard water deposits...calcium/lime whatever that stuff is. Thats usually crusty and on top of wherever the waterline usually is. If its slimy I totally agree on the mold theory :)

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Ok I did a water change and now it is all in the water. I waited 24 hours to see if the filter would filter it out and nope did not. The fish look stressed. They were at the top gasping for air. I did a huge water change and the water still looks cloudy from it it almost looks white however the fish are now back down in the tank and don't look to be gasping too much. This tank has been up and running since last MArch, I mean inside the filter it was covered with this crap I cleaned it out and probably took all the bacteria with it :(. What gives? What should I do? How often for a water change? I don't want the fish to die or get sick etc.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The only thing I can think of is that the white sludgey stuff was using up oxygen in the water, leaving the fish gasping. You should probably pay close attention to not overfeeding and cleaning the filter a little more until everything is back to normal. :)

I'm going through the same problem right now and I just lost 14 cardinal tetra fish in the span of 6 hours because of this "white sludge". They all were gasping for air so i did a huge water change and that didn't do anything, they all died.

From what i've read of the above comments my mistake was feeding them brine shrimp flakes last night and it got moldy really fast? I woke up this morning to the white cloud so i'm assuming it was because of that.

Not sure what my next move should be.....clean everything out and start over? There are still 8 fish left but they don't seem to be effected. 4 blackskirt tetras, 2 penguin tetras, 1 pleco, and 1 flying fox. Its a 32 gallon tank. I checked the water specs and its all good. Filter was recently changed (a month ago) but I changed it again anyways. Took out all the live plants and i'm going to throw them out if they can't be salvaged. This is very distressing :(

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Ohhh no don't change your filter! The good bacteria in there help filter out the bad stuff from the water.

Do water changes, test your water perameters and get some 'Prime' if your fish are gasping since it dechlorinates and detoxifies Nitrites (the two most common causes of the gasping).

Well i think i had to change the filter because it was covered in this white "mold" and i just figured it wasn't going to help me get rid of it any faster. After removing everything from the tank-except the fish and gravel-the cloud is diminishing a little bit. I don't know what Prime is but i'll look that up for sure.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Boggling.

Are you sure you don't have any extra chlorine in the water? That's the only reason I would expect that you would see gasping like that in a well established tank.

Well i did do a big water change yesterday, and added declorinator as new water was put in, and i've done a change that same way for awhile now and i've never had a problem. My husband came up with an interesting theory. I fed my fish brine shrimp last night but that container had been there for a long time (almost a year) he said what if the food itself had mold or something or the beginnings of it and that sparked a bloom? Makes sense to me.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Generally your water being white is going to be a bacteria bloom, and bacteria blooms are not bad, rather they are GOOD because your tank needs that bacteria to stay on track chemically. I think you probably had more than one thing going on here. Doing large water changes and changing filters sounds like a recipe for a bloom. If your water turns white, it is not something to panic about. The other part of it though is that Cardinal tetras really are infamous for being sensitive fish. Did you check your temperature? Did your water flow change at all? Gasping can be from reduced oxygen in the water and that can be caused by a raise in the temperature of the water or less surface agitation.

There are a fair amount of things that will cause fish to die, and unfortunately when you lose one, more are bound to be lost because of stress and changes that you make to the tank following the deaths. I doubt that your food would have caused it...but if it is a year old its probably not too nutritious for them anyway so splurge and get them some good new stuff eh?