White Spots (Ick) on Black Neons

Oct 25, 2010
Here's the deal. My tank is cycled but I've notice Ich on my Black Neons. I bought the Tetra Ick Guard and put the tablets in the water this morning
(10am) and did a water test this evening (7pm).

Will treating my Fish Tank with Tetra Ick Guard affect the good bacteria in water? I've been reading articles on how treat Ick and some articles reccommend that I treat the tank for at least 7 days and do water changes (25 percent) every time I put new meds in.

I've also raise the water temperature to 84 degrees, hopefully having Ick Guard and raising the temperature will help cure the Black Neons faster. Any suggestions?

Results:

Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Hardiness 300
Chlorine 0
Total Akalinity 120
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0.

Oct 25, 2010
1 Tablet for every 10 gallons (using 2 1/2 tablets) 24 hour cycle. Then do a 25% water change before i drop new medication each day. I also raised water temp to 84% degrees.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I would just follow the directions....does it say anything about how long or how many treatments? Also when you are doing your water changes make sure to vacuum the gravel really well as an ick stage "lives" in the gravel .

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I've had experience with both ich meds and salt/raise temp.
With ich meds... even though it wasn't a bad case, didn't work and just turned my silicon blue. Be sure to remove the carbon from your filter if you use meds.
With salt, I added 1t/gal and raised the temperature. This worked in just a few days. If you have live plants or fish that won't tolerate salt then you can just raise the temperature.

Oct 25, 2010
The result is that all my black neons died and brought them back to the store and got a refund for them. I am still treating the tank with ich med (with a daily water change of 25% before I put new meds also took out the carbon filter) and also raised the water temperature to 84 degrees. I will be doing this for another four days with ich med and the temperature for another two weeks and drop it back down to 78 degrees.

Oct 25, 2010
I had them for a week, the Petsmart employee said it was common for Black neons to develop ich because they get easily stressed, I wish I would have knew that.

I have a 25 gallon tall tank.

6 Black skirt neon, 12 neon tetras (both no signs). I might buy a couple of neon tetras in a month like 2 more. I like the schoaling effect. I also want to get a cherry shrimp and I would say my tank it complete.

And aquatic plants (java moss, java ferns-a bunch and attach on the driftwood, marino moss balls ( 1 large, 5 small), wisteria-1, amazon sword-1, cabomba-2 bunch, mondo grass-4, purple hornwort-1, and an unkown plant.)

Feb 27, 2009
I've heard that too with the black neons. I'd put them (actually any new fish) in a QT tank and not add them to the main tank so you don't risk the rest of your healthy stock. The fact that none of your other fish show signs after being exposed is a good sign you are taking good care of your fish!

The 'amazon sword,' depending on the specific species, may outgrow your tank. The 'mondo grass' is not an aquatic plant, but a marginal plant, and can survive being submerged for awhile. It does not thrive underwater and will eventually decay.

Deltrunner

Small Fish
Oct 25, 2010
I just found out that mondo grass is not an aquatic plant...kinda sucks because they sell them in the Aquatic Plant section in Petsmart. My amazon sword is small for the time being and probably get rid of it once it gets to big. I am just waiting for the java moss to spread on the ground and Java ferns to take off.

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
gee lot of advice for such a minor problem most of which will cause more problems.. water changes cause stress.. any medication you have 2 use more than once is bad juju.. your problem is a simple fix IMHO...''copersafe'' a better refined product than methaline blue which we used back in the 70's