White Stringy Stuff On Rocks- No Fish Yet

Sep 23, 2005
I am in the process of doing a fishless cycle and I have noticed this white, stringy, wispy stuff growing on my cave rock- There are no fish in the tank yet. Any idea what this could be? Should I start all over? Cycle is at the point where nitrites are peaking-

Thanks!

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
I noticed that on my plastic decorations, too, while I was cycling and since then I have seen others asking similar questions. Most people have said it is just moldy food - I doubt that is what mine was - maybe some kind of fungus? I just washed it off of the decorations, and it has never come back.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
banahud said:
I am in the process of doing a fishless cycle and I have noticed this white, stringy, wispy stuff growing on my cave rock- There are no fish in the tank yet. Any idea what this could be? Should I start all over? Cycle is at the point where nitrites are peaking-

Thanks!
Are you adding a store bought bacteria product? There's one called Cycle that I use. It's beneficial bacteria that you add to the tank. I have those stringing things too and I think it has to do with the bacteria. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think it's anything to worry about, because my fish are fine.

Sep 23, 2005
Thanks

Thanks for the replies- It is reassuring to know others have seen it and it has not affected the fish- No I do not have any silk plants

Olga

Medium Fish
Oct 28, 2005
I had the same while cycling. Than, at the end of the cycling, it is gone. When I added fish - it got ich....I am not saying that there is a connection, because parasite can't live without fish.
One percon told me that it might be snails due to my live plants, but still, people have them with silk plants.