White stuff on bala shark

bartnl

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2009
About two days ago i saw a white spot on my bala shark behind its dorsal fin. I thought it would go away so i didn't do anything about it. I don't know what it is so I'm asking if any of you do? its just behind its fin. I have some pictures to help. The pic isn't great but its the best i can do.

Attachments

bartnl

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2009
i just saw the bala upside down until another fish came up to it. once the other fish went up to it the bala went back upright and swam away...by white spot i meant white patch btw....

Last edited:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
does it look fuzzy or grainy? Grainy could be itch. Fuzzy could be some kind of fungus... One of my Tigers had a fuzzy spot for a while but never should too many behavior abnormalities. I just added some salt, stress coat stuff and raise the temp a degree or two. It went away in a few weeks... Sorry I couldn't be of more help but that is usually my solution for most fish illnesses.

bartnl

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2009
it looks fuzzy...the bala is still acting normal though...eats a lot and is very active so maybe i'll do what you suggested and see if it works...thank you

bartnl

Small Fish
Jan 30, 2009
My friend had some medicine against fungus so i put two tablets in my tank and hopefully the shark will be better...thank you for the help

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
okay if you're not 100% im pretty sure now that bala sharks have scales so meds are okay. funny that most of the other sharks dont have scales (redtails, ID, etc) So just wanted to be safe

Apr 19, 2009
I have two bala shark which are around 8 years old. One has just started to show white/silvery patches on its body, it's eyes look funny and it does not seem to be eating. I do wonder if it can see the food or if it is not interested. Any ideas of what may be wrong? The other bala looks fine.