who knows gouramis??

trav_19

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2006
well my question in my wife is in love with them and we have 3 lol...however when we got our second one it was a tiny little baby and was like a gray-ish color with yellow tips on his upper and lower fins....well now hes aging ..not getting much bigger really tiny compared to the other 2 we have. However if he is in the red plants he turns a deep red and his face and belly turn black ..its amazing to see if he leaves the red plants he returns to the lighter gray color ...what the heck kinda gourami is this?!?!?! has anyone ever heard of this before?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
it may be a female gourami if it lacks color and is a dwarf species. and it may just be the lighting, i have never heard of a gourami matching colors to suit its surroundings.

trav_19

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2006
i will try and get pics its crazy ...i dont think its lighting or reflection of surroundings because he can swim out and still look that way it takes awhile before it starts looking more of the grayish hue

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Sounds to me like a plain ol' ordinary Dwarf Gourami (Colisa Lalia). There is huge colour variation in the species with some being red/blue stripes through to orange and brown like this pic.

trav_19

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2006
ok the worst paint example in the world but i did it extremly fast its black face shows signs of blue in there hence the blue spray paint haha

trav_19

Small Fish
Dec 7, 2006
thats exactly what he is thank you soooo much ....his face and belly thats black is doing the light and super dark transition now over the last 2 or 3 days he has been pretty consistantly red now its the face thats either barely noticeable or super dark and it seems to get the darkest when it feels threatened...when my rainbow shark is chasing him he gets his darkest im guessing the red is staying now :D