Whoa...where'd the snail come from?

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
I happened to notice a round brown spot on my glass today, and took a closer look. It's a SNAIL! Now where do they come from? It appears to be eating the algae on the glass....which thrills me since both my otos died. But how did I get it? And what does it need to live? Do I want it to stay? It's about 3/4" in diameter I'd say, and brownish in color. I don't have any live plants in my tank right now, but I did at one time before I started treating for ick. Is that where it came in? Do fish carry them in?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Usually they'll come in on plants or once in awhile they can come in with fish if the lfs person swipes the bag in the tank and picks one up by accident. You really dont have to feed it...it'll find plenty of things to munch on in your tank.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It could have come in on your plants, or it could have come in with water from the store. They are tiny when young, so you might not have noticed it in a bag of fish and water, or mistaken it for a piece of fish poop.

Snails are a matter of opinion on whether you like them or not. Personally, I like them in tanks, as they help clean things up. The problem is when they overpopulate, usually from feeding too much.

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
Oh good....I'm glad it's not a bad thing. It's kind of cute! Does anyone know what kind it probably is? I couldn't find any snail pictures around here.

Tarah

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
Ah, it must be a ramshorn then. Now this morning I couldn't find it. I know it must be in there somewhere. Any thoughts on where they like to hide? Do they come out of the water and cling to the hood? Or do they stay submerged?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
no...a lot of people like the snails. my roommate goes into pet stores and asks them for their little round snails for her puffers :) I like having apple snails in my tanks because they help out cleaning up stuff and even a little bit of algae. They CAN foul your water pretty fast if they die...but they dont die very easily.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
how long is the time between when the female snail gets pregnant and when they hatch? :( i wanted baby snails, but when mine laid eggs above the waterline, my four little female bettas thought it was a nice treat and kept jumping out of the water to eat them. they're all gone now.