Whos runnin T5's

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Just wanted to get an idea of what brands you guys are using.. Im really thinking about switching.. I think I need a new bulb, it's a corallife mh bulb and I only have 1 pc actinic so im looking into gettin a 4 bulb fixture or something? Will an icecap 660 run 4 bulbs? I think my tank is only 24".. I don't want anything to expensive as im on a tight budged lol.. Any suggestions would be great!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm ordering a 2 lamp unit for that bottom tank that the colour is too white on. Going with an actual T5HO ballast so that it's Program Start and I get the benefits of the longer life. Also getting those Tek light reflectors with the 29 bends and Fiji Purple lamps. I'll let you know what I think of them and post some before and after pic's in a week or 2 when I get them set up.

I did look at an Icecap 660, and yes it'll run 4 lamps but it will automaticly overdrive them. On RC Icecap says the 660 will run 24" HO's at 40 watts. Also to my knowledge there is only one brand *made* to be overdriven by an Icecap, UV Light (new name for URI)

What kind of a budget are we talking about here? All in all it would be cheaper to replace your MH lamp as opposed to a whole new system.

Chris

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Im looking at about 150ish - 200ish.. I was thinking about a new bulb but I want new supplements also and then im going to have to get new bulbs for those as well plus a new ballast b/c as of now im only running 1 pc and it's not doing much of anything!

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
While we are on the topic of lights I think I'm about to get a 40 gallon breeder running with a sump/refugium. There's no lights though. I'm thinking of T5s for this tank if I put coral in it. What's a good not too pricey system for this size tank?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Well to give you an idea, The T5 ballast, 2 36" reflectors, and 2 lamps is going to run me $175 cnd. That's not including end caps, wires and mounting hardware. Also if I would have gone with the 660 it would have added an additional $140.

On the other hand...
24" T5 RETRO-FIT KITS Bulk Reef Supply

2 of those would work. Though, then you would need to add lamps to the price. Call it a minimum of another $100.

Chris

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Because the lamps are so close together you won't get the full benefits if the T5's. Excuse the pun but they really "shine" when in independent reflectors ;). Also try and find out what type of ballast it uses. I didn't see what type of lamps it uses either. Just like any other lamp, all T5's are not made equal.

All that said, might be worth a shot... it's cheap enough. Though to quote a guy of my local reef forum: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Chris

(edit in response to the above edit ;) ). Out of those, I'd go with the Nova Retro. The lamps are supposed to be pretty decent, and they have SLR's (single light reflectors). Nice find! I didn't even know they made retro kits, gonna have to surf around the Current USA site again lol.

Last edited:

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Lol yea, I plan on getting SLR's ( i knew what ya ment lol ).. Im a bargin shopper lol.. Im going to keep searching till I find the right 1! Ill prob end up with the nova's tho for the money.. Plus That Fish Place is a sponser here and we get an additional 10% off!!