why are my fish dying?

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I can't figure out why my fish keep dying. First it was an oto, found him on the bottom with little chunks missing while he was still alive. I euthanised him and thought it was the barbs so I moved them to a different tank. Then today I came home and one of the guppy males was dead on the bottom with his belly split open in a huge chunk. I remembered that he'd been hanging out at the bottom a lot and missed a few feedings, so I thought maybe the water was bad. It's not. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 5. What's going on? Is someone attacking them? I've never seen anybody get nipped at or even chased a little bit by anyone else. Or is it just a fluke coincidence and they just died?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Im assuming this is in the 75gal? because if it is, then i wouldnt be surprized if the angels or the gouramis are doing the job. angels as you know, can be agressive, so can gouramis...so its hard to tell.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
Haha just noticed that :p
Great minds think alike eh?
But, i really think that the angels would be doing it now that i think of it more...IME, angels are more agressive then gouramis

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
How can I fingure out which? The angels are still tiny, only like an inch (not including fins) so would they still be nipping at the guppies who are almost the same size? If I moved the guppies to the 30 gal. would the angels and gouramis be ok together?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
NO dont move the guppies to the 30gal with the cichlids! they will get owned in that tank. and i personally wouldnt put it in the 10 either, bettas and guppies dont mix

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Katie217 said:
NO dont move the guppies to the 30gal with the cichlids! they will get owned in that tank. and i personally wouldnt put it in the 10 either, bettas and guppies dont mix
lol... I actually meant once the cichlids are gone. Sorry, I should've been more specific.;) I'm taking them back to the lfs this week, prolly Friday. Hopefully no more guppies will get attacked between now and then.

My hubby wants a big swarm of guppies anyway, so the 30 gal will be good for them to have all to themselves.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yep, I suspect the angels or gouramis, but just to throw out another possibility since the one was lethargic before he had any nips, almost all fish will nip at a carcas, so the nips could be from after they died, I would keep an eye on the tank just in case, but yeah, moving the guppies would be a good idea either way, expecially if you are wanting them to multiply, your other fish are guppy fry fiends.