Why Betta?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
What would be the main reason for Bettas having such a large following? For example, my older brother who knows as much as the next person (about fish), really is into the fighting fish. I even said if he takes good care of my tank in the summer, I'll set him up a betta tank.

So my question is, why Bettas?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Bettas are 'wet pets'. They are very personable and will interact with you. And they are beautiful! Also, they don't need a huge tank so they make a nice display for a desk or nightstand. I have my betta tank on the computer desk and he is constantly at the glass watching me. I will never go without one :D

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Another thing is that they're rather hardy, so even a beginner can succesfully keep a very happy betta for a few years.

Though I venture to say it's their looks that give them their initial popularity. I think pretty much anyone who ever got interested in betta keeping did so because they found them to be so physically attractive.

All of the other things are that which sustains their popularity.

I love them. They're among my favorite creatures in the whole world.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Bettas #1!!!

The second fish I knew about was the betta. I really didn't know anything about fish other putting the little goldies into the bowl. Haha. This was about 10 years ago. But then when I went to Vietnam, my cousin went and bought a couple. I guess I really don't know much abou their personalities because we would put them in battles with it each (I know that sounds cruel to a lot of the people here at MFT).

But here in the States, I would like to keep a peaceful betta.
(waiting for summer to come...)