Why do some people prefer to go with a carbonless filter?

Potawato

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2007
Still new to fish tanking myself, so excuse me for being uninformed =P

In my tank for example, since I'm using tap water (along with conditioner), I prefer to keep the carbon since it removes chemicals. Why do I see people choosing to remove the carbon from their filter cartridges? Or is this just a salt water thing?

iamcowboy

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Crandall, TX
Carbon provides chemical filtration. Those of us who use live plants in our tanks do not use carbon because it could remove some of the fertilizers that we intentionally put in for the plants. We still keep carbon around for emergencies or for removing medications should we ever need to.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Carbon really isn't needed in a filter unless you are trying to remove medications from the tank. Mostly its just a waste of money if you're not using it for a specific purpose.

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
I was someone would of told me that at my LFS because I bought and changed my carbon filter every two weeks, last year before I shutdown my aquarium, and now since I have had it back up for two weeks, I haven't bothered putting in a carbon filter.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I run carbon in new setups, to remove meds, and in tanks that might have been exposed to some chemical (perhaps someone was trying to be helpful with some windex...).

So, I keep some on hand just in case I need it quickly, but there is really no need for it long term.

If you'd like some more in depth reading on the subject, I'd suggest RTR's article on chemical filtration (thanks to the wayback machine...) Tom's Place - Aquaria at it's best

(Robert T. Ricketts is one of the top names in the online fishkeeping community)

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Wow i did not know all this about carbon... i use the cartridge filters for penguin bio wheel. Is there a way to remove carbon from filters cartridge you buy in store? Or what can i place in HOB filter penguin 150 that will provide the filtration without carbon? I have lots of plants but would like to see if it make difference with or without carbon. Good question i think it is taken as common sense in established community but the newer folk could use this suggestion in the beginner guides we have here.... just a thought

Potawato

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2007
Grumpy_Marine said:
Wow i did not know all this about carbon... i use the cartridge filters for penguin bio wheel. Is there a way to remove carbon from filters cartridge you buy in store? Or what can i place in HOB filter penguin 150 that will provide the filtration without carbon? I have lots of plants but would like to see if it make difference with or without carbon. Good question i think it is taken as common sense in established community but the newer folk could use this suggestion in the beginner guides we have here.... just a thought
PG: DIY Penguin Filter Cartridges - PlantGeek.net

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
i would leave carbon in until tests read 0 ammonia 0 nitrates and 5-XX Nitrites ppm. The reason being your tank is cycling, if you take out carbon the process will go on but ammonia stinks when it gets high in content... the carbon helps eliminate the odor IMO. Once tank is cycled then i would feel safe about removing carbon looking back, i just learned about this, but i know for cycling i would leave it in.

Skwid

New Fish
Mar 12, 2007
I've heard that carbon also helps remove 'odour' from your tank. As long as you keep up with your maintenance, though, that shouldn't be a problem.

krzekds

Medium Fish
Jan 23, 2007
Plymouth, WI
O.k., so basically if I want my plants to live I should take out the carbon in my filter. I just bought 2 anubis and 2 java fern plants. Is this why the other plants I've had in the tank have died?

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
that's crazy. i think i asked the same question a month ago, but was vague about it more than likely. it's nice to get some insight. i've just bought the pre-made whisper filters for my 5G WITH carbon in them and my planted tank. my plants are thriving except for anacharis and cabomba. i didn't think that plants adsorbed that much waste or nitrogen.....so then the filter in a planted tank is just for water circulation to avoid detritus?