why does everyone overstock???

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
I'm a little annoyed because at work a couple of days ago a guy came in and had this little jar that was literally the size of a store betta cup and asked if 5 neon tetras would do okay in it. I really wanted to yell at the kid. I guess I'm just complaining, but is the fish world really that big of a mystery? Why does everyone seem to come into the store and want to put 5 gold gouramis into a 10 gallon uncycled tank?

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Because they want a "quick high" per say from the hobby. They don't want to mess with the tank, no water changes or anything.....they just want one there. And because of the fish being so small in most stores, they think thats the size they will stay and causing them to think that they don't need certaint ank sizes. :(

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Personally, I "overstock" only according to the 1"/gallon rule of thumb that noobies try to live by. Some rules were meant to be bent, others - broken.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Yeah, it really is pretty midleading marketing to have a 10gallon starter kit with thepic on the front of plastic plants and 20 two-inch long fish. Most people who get the 10gallons tarter kit don't have a clue about whether that is possible, or advisable, or not. I agree.

dslr.cow

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
adagiolove05 said:
I guess I'm just complaining, but is the fish world really that big of a mystery? Why does everyone seem to come into the store and want to put 5 gold gouramis into a 10 gallon uncycled tank?
Yes, it is a mystery to people who have never had fish. Everyone wants to do that when they come in because they don't know any better. As their first point of contact in the fish world, your job is to educate them about what has to be done before adding fish.

Aaron

Large Fish
Sep 15, 2004
Right under your boat...
If someone had yelled at me when I started I would have quit that second. I was given plenty of bad advice and stores cheerfully sold me fish after fish and gimmick after gimmick before I found a store that was helpful and I began to learn anything.

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
It is the same way in the tort/turtle world. Forums I read, everyone seems to have gotten a tort, without thinking what type a habbitat it needs-dessert, rainforest, etc. Or even researching the type of animal they got...like that cute little sulcatta that fits in your hand now, but will grow to 200lbs...makes vet trips fun to throw a 200lb tort in the back of your pick-up. And the loser is the poor pet.

same with other furry creatures...hamsters should have larger enclosures than the average people provide. Even looking at what is in dog and cat food is crazy! dogs and cats should have a high protein diet, yet their food is often mostly carbs.

It REALLY bothers me that we have the wonderful world of the internet at our fingers, and people can't take 5 minutes to metasearch something to see if it is a good idea first. Or go to the old fashioned library if you don't have the internet.

Jan 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
I agree with Aaron; if someone had yelled at me when I first started keeping fish, I wouldn't be doing it today. I think the best way to handle the situation is to explain the basic principles of cycling, and help them make more responsible choices. Ultimately, what they do is up to them, but giving them knowledge can help them make better decisions.

I think one reason a lot of people don't research fish before purchasing them is that they're one of the more inexpensive pets. There's this misconception that fish are easy to keep--just add water. It's only natural to see the overstocked tanks in a fish store, or the fish-filled tanks on box covers (the Eclipse Systems come to mind...) and assume that's the way things should be done.

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Oh no no- I didn't yell at the guy. I really wanted to, but of course, everyone has to start somewhere. And the place I work at IS actually really helpful- we have care sheets that we give to people who start, and an aquarium handbook that we give for free. Uhm... I ALWAYS explain cycling and fish compatibility to our customers and I think it's really fun to educate them. We're actually training a couple of new employees right now and they just follow old employees around and listen to us talk to customers. It's a great store and I love working there. I was just raving because some people are THAT clueless. This same kid (not young- probably high school) was feeding his hamster a sunflower seed only diet because "it was his favorite food" so I guess I just had a special case...

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Oh and FisheyLisa- totally about the dog and cat food. Since we're on this "educating" topic-

Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Purina, and all of those other name brand foods aren't as good for your pet as you may think. They USED TO BE top of the line foods- don't get me wrong, but there's way better stuff out there now. These foods contain any/all of the following- corn, wheat, soy, and they all are made with by-products (head, feet, guts). Corn and wheat are a common food allergy in dogs, and they're actually a filler. It's NOT one of the "healthy veggies." Better foods are Wellness, for example, and Chicken Soup for the Dog/Cat Lover's Soul and brands like that. They're made with human grade foods (like actual chicken breast meat instead of chicken feet) and they don't have any fillers. Dogs and cats will eat less, absorb more, and poop less. People who switch to these brands have actually come back and said they see a differece in their animals' coats after a couple of months. And lastly, these companies make it their thing to not sell to those giant companies like Petco and Petsmart, so that's why you never hear of them. :) There's a non-fishey lesson for you all!

Cichlid Man ~ I think you are right on with that. People generally want the quick satisfaction of having a tank full of fish. They take little time to study and learn. That is why I had to find a forum of discussion prior to making changes to the current aquarium. I feel that fish are similar to my cats with their own personalities and lifestyle. I gain from them as they will gain from me. It is a give and take relationship all the way around.