Why does...

Apr 7, 2007
st.paul,mn.
It seems my Betta Boy (ooohhh that is what I can call him BB) only wants to come out when the light is off. Can anyone tell my why that is. I have only had him for 3 days. And he seems to like to stay in the shadows, and I had made him a cave and he goes in there. But he hasn't eaten yet. Pllllllzzzzzzzzzzzz help:) *twirlysmi :confused:

Apr 7, 2007
st.paul,mn.
Almost forgot

oohhh I forgot to mention:
ammonia=0
nitrItes=0
nitrAtes=under 5.0 (a little lighter than the orange API scale)

20 high gallon
temp=79.3

2 blue gouramis
3 penguin tetras
3 red minors
1 albino catfish

no overfeeding or underfeeding
10%pwc's
(I cant think if i left anything else out)
Oh yeah, fish food= tropical flakes, algae pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms

Is there anything I am missing?????

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well, IME many fish tend to be reclusive during the time they adjust to their new home, Bettas are no different, He should come around, give him some more time. Even after all that you may find out, you have a timid fish that prefers a darker tank. If all else fails add some more hiding places and see if that helps.

My current Betta seems to like the well lit tank, however my previous Betta was entirely the opposite, I actually took out the fluorescent bulb and replaced it with a low watt incandescent to "darken" up the tank.

As far as his appetite, That should return, give him some more time, I had one of my Bettas go a full week before eating.

Note: just read your Sig. Those Gourami may also be factoring into your Bettas "distress" you'll need to watch those two, any signs of aggression they (or the Betta) will need to be moved.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2007
st.paul,mn.
The funny thing about the gouramis is that only one of them will try and find out what the betta is and the bigger gourami will chase the smaller one away from betta. So there have been no problems yet. Just when the smaller one goes near the betta he flashes or flares ( whichever or), and the small gourami backs down. So then I should get a lower light? If that helps him I will. And there are quite a few places for him to hide. I put a rock shelf up above his cave for him to hide also. But he will swim up to me almost when I wiggle my finger in the tank. Do bettas like bloodworms? Or is there a special food? I told my husband (as a joke) if the smaller gourami keeps trying to go after my betta then i will take it out and put it in the tank with the bigger fellas. ( I would never do that) .

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
So then I should get a lower light? If that helps him I will.

It MAY help him, I'm not sure if thats the problem however the other fish in that tank may not like the subdued lighting.

You Could:

-Return the Betta
-Return The Gourami
-See if it passes, some Bettas will actually put similar sized Gourami in their place, Time will tell, however at the first sign of fin shredding, separate them.
-The best option would be to get your Betta a tank of his own 2g or larger would be best.