Why has my fishless cycle stalled?

Jun 25, 2007
Hi there, I am having a problem with my first fishless cycle...

I have a 60cm tank, set everything up, filter is working, added soil, lights off and heater turned up to around 30 degrees to promote bacteria growth.

I have a slight disadvantage that I am in Japan and can't read the product instructions properly, but, since I have no access to an established tank to obtain bacteria, I got hold of a kit called "Start Up" It has 6 ampules of bacteria, 4 are called Bio-Digest and 4 are called Stop-Ammo. I found an English translation online and it seems that the Bio-Digest mixture contains the nitrifying bacteria called Nitrosomonas Europea and Nitrobacter Winogradskyi which seems to be the right stuff. I believe that the bacteria occur naturally anyway, so even without the bio-digest, they should slowly multiply, right?

I bought ammonia water from a chemist which I was told only contained ammonia (again, I can't read the label), but I since read that you can test it by shaking the bottle. This stuff does foam a little after shaking, so I wonder if this is no good? I hope I don't have to start over, but maybe thats the case?

Anyway, at the start I measured the NH3/NH4 every day, but the N02 only occasionally, as I though I had to wait for the NH3/NH4 to reach 0 before doing that.

The ammonia level dropped at first but will not shift from 0.25. I assumed that as it dropped at first this was due to bacteria, its been stuck there for 8 days now and I wonder why its stalled?

When I measured the N03 I was surprised to see it was 10mg/l. Again I thought I had to see the nitrite spike before measuring the N03, so I am wondering why the nitrates are already so high? I since read that Nitrate readings may be inaccurate when Nitrites are present?

Here is my progress:

(2 ampules of bacteria, 40 drops ammonia)
Day 1: NH3/NH4 2.5-5.00 - N02 0.05 - pH 6.8
Day 2: NH3/NH4 2.50
Day 3: NH3/NH4 1.00
Day 4: NH3/NH4 0.50
(20 drops ammonia, now I realise I only need to add more ammonia when it reaches 0ppm, if that ever happens!)
Day 4: NH3/NH4 1.00 - N02 0.05 - pH 6.8
Day 5: NH3/NH4 0.50
Day 6: NH3/NH4 0.25
(10 drops ammonia)
Day 6: NH3/NH4 1.00
Day 7: NH3/NH4 0.50 - N02 0.05 - N03 10mg/l (started measuring Nitrates)
Day 8: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10 - N03 10mg/l
Day 9: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10 - N03 10mg/l
Day 10: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10 - N03 5mg/l
Day 11: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10 - N03 0mg/l
Day 12: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10 - N03 10mg/l
Day 13: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10 (read that Nitrate readings may be inaccurate while there are nitrites present)
Day 14: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10
Day 15: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10
Day 16: NH3/NH4 0.25 - N02 0.10

Can anyone help interpret whats going on here?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Since your ammonia levels seem to be dropping, it appears your tank is cycling as it should. What type of test kit are you using? Drops or strips? You should see some sort of Nitrite reading. Sometimes it can take up to 4 weeks to cycle a tank, sometimes as little as 2, so be patient, it seems you're on the right track. Is there any way you can call the manufacturer of the ammonia to see if it has anything else in it besides pure ammonia?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Whether it was pure water/ammonia or not shouldn't have any bearing on how your cycle is going. I agree with MissFishy it actually sounds like your cycle is doing fine. Since you haven't added ammonia in so long I think I would probably add a few drops...not 10. Maybe 2. See if it drops back down to .25. Also...you should test your tap water or a control and see if your test kit is measuring .25 when there is no ammonia or what.

One thing you could do to make sure your tank is cycled...is to do a huge water change (don't let any hot/cold or chlorinated water touch your filter) and then dechlorinate, add say 5 drops of ammonia and test in an hour to see where your level is at. Then leave it for a day or two and check the levels. If your ammonia has gone down (or disappeared) and you have no nitrites but you have nitrates...then your tank is cycled and ready for fish. If your nitrite level goes up...then you still have some time to wait. If your ammonia doesn't go down at all then you should probably wait longer.

The bacteria that you added probably jumpstarted your cycle, which is why you were seeing nitrates before you expected to :)

Welcome to MFT!

Jun 25, 2007
Thanks very much for your replies, I'm glad it seems ok.

MissFishy,
I am using drop tests. I couldn't quite figure out how to read them at first as I was expecting the colours to match more accurately, but I think I have got the hang of it now. I've even been keeping a log of photos to compare the results!

I will ask someone to check the label on the ammonia for me.

FroggyFox,
I tested my tap water and it shows no trace of ammonia, which is nice to know ;)

Just to clarify, my options are:

1) Be patient and keep testing, the ammonia will eventually drop.

Easier said than done, but I probably manage it when I hear you guys say it is probably going fine.

2) Add a little ammonia and see if it drops back to 0.25.

If it doesn't drop then somethings up? or it means go to option 1?
If it does drop, then go to option 1?

3) Big water change, add a lot of ammonia and check everything to see where its at. If ammonia and nirtrites read 0 and Nitrates are present the tank is cycled, otherwise go to option 1.

I don't quite understand this option. It seems like you mean my tank may be cycled, but I need to change the water to confirm? Supposing it turns out not to be, would I be back to square one, or could I expect everything to drop faster this time due to larger colonies of bacteria?

Since most of these outcomes seem to lead back to option 1, I might just hang in there and do nothing for the time being. I had the figure of 2 weeks in my mind, but I see now it could be longer.

Thanks again, Matt

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Mostly correct. Like you mentioned earlier, sometimes your readings can be thrown off by high levels of other things so the biggest test of the cycle is to clean your tank out and get all of the levels to 0, and then add in ammonia (not a lot, just enough to make it measurable on your test kit. Its always a good idea to put a little in and let the water mix for an hour or so and then test.) and see how your bacteria are doing. If you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites with nitrates present after you add ammonia...then that is the goal :)

What I was saying with the options is that if I were you I think I'd put a few drops of ammonia in since you haven't put any in in awhile. The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites needs something to live off of...so I'm not sure how they're doing if your level is staying even and you're not adding more ammonia. Then you are correct...you're waiting for the ammonia to drop. why its sticking at .25 I'm not sure...since you said your test kit has a clear 0ppm reading.

but in the end, yes it can definitely take more than 2 weeks to happen so patience is key. keep us posted :)

May 29, 2007
Some people recommend adding some pinched fish food into the tank once a week, gives the bacteria phosphates that can sometimes get a stalled cycle going, since they apparently need it.