Why Not?

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Well, people said that my gouramis would fight with each other when I got them but they arent fighting and school with each other. They never chase any one around. I was wondering how come bettas arent compatible with gouramis. My gouramis are peaceful and I wanted to add a blue betta but I want to know how come they arent compatible?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
To give you an analogy, if I put you in a cage with a tiger, the tiger would probably try to eat you. Why? Because it's in his nature and you look like a nice snack. If you were to ask, "but we're both mammals, why is that a problem?" the answer would be that just because you're both mammals doesn't mean you'll get on. :)

While gouramis and bettas won't necessarily see eachother as food, they will see eachother as natural enemies.

Sep 16, 2005
well.... every fish is an individual. some gourami species are more aggressive than others. the dwarfs are supposedly more timid and tolerant, but you may have the exception to the rule swimming around in your tank.

could they get along? maybe.

would i risk it? no.

at least not with a male betta. however, we currently have not one but two tanks with a gourami (one blue, one neon dwarf) coexisting with a female betta. in the 20g, ralph kramden and sexy girl coexist happily, and i have even seen him defending her from strange new fish. in our 10g, oatmeal and girlfriend don't seem to particularly like each other, but tolerate each other really well. they don't get into nip-fests... the most aggression i've seen out of either of them is a staring contest during feeding time.

so basically, if you must, you can try putting a little blue female betta in there. but watch everyone like a hawk. there may be a little chasing, because gouramis tend to do that to all new fish, but eventually the betta should be able to find a place to hide unti the gourami is comfortable with her presence. if there is any vicious nipping going on, or if she's still hiding after about a week, take her out and forget it.