Why won't my nitrites go down?

MattCB

New Fish
Oct 20, 2009
I have a tank that has been running since mid-July. I chose the fishless cycling method, adding pure ammonia. It took two months for nitrites to show up. Now they have… and I want them to leave! It has been a month now since the nitrites showed up, and i have no signs of nitrates, and no sign of the nitrites going down. I was adding stress-zyme to try to “speed bacterial growth,” but stopped spending the money. One day I got a reading of zero nitrites but I think it was a faulty test for whatever reason, I got the same readings as before the next day, but I had algae growth so I thought it was okay. (I use API’s master kit).I added several more plants and three tiger barbs anyways (like an idiot). They have been in there for a week and a half now, and are doing ok, but showing signs of nitrite poisoning. Nitrites are still high with no nitrates. It’s been over a month. What can I do? Thanks!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Stress zyme is useless. I know cuz ive been suckered into buying it myself before. Your best bet is to return the fish, but if its too late, then use a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia(assuming you have any) and the nitrites. How large is this tank??? its taken that long to get where you are? thats odd.

MattCB

New Fish
Oct 20, 2009
I have no ammonia, it was going away completely from 5 ppm to 0 ppm in about 12 hours, and I haven't shown any since.

The tank is 26 gallons. I've heard that it is harder to cycle a smaller tank, but I didn't think 26 was considered "small..."

It has taken forever, and I know cycling can take a VERY long time, and they say patience is the key, but its just downright frustrating!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Seems to be taking longer that expected for that tank. how are you adding ammonia now? using the fish as the source? That would be good, and it should work out in the next few weeks.

I hope youre not rinsing your filter media in anything but tankwater.... cuz tap will kill the bacteria youre trying to build. I wouldnt even be rinsing the media until the tank cycles.

MattCB

New Fish
Oct 20, 2009
Now I am just letting the fish add the ammonia. I haven't rinsed the filter media other than very lightly to get some stuff of off one spot, and I used tank water.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree...it sounds very "off". If you are diligent you should be able to finish a fishless cycle in a month or 6 weeks give or take... A fish-in cycle though...that will take a lot longer. I would do a big water change to get the nitrite level down for your fish. Every once in awhile you'll see a stuck cycle with the nitrites getting stuck high for some reason, and sometimes the answer is a large water change...so as long as you are doing one, might as well make it a good one :) Also, adding the plants was a good move, as many times they will bring bacteria in with them to help the cycle along.

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Seems to be taking longer that expected for that tank. how are you adding ammonia now? using the fish as the source? That would be good, and it should work out in the next few weeks.

I hope youre not rinsing your filter media in anything but tankwater.... cuz tap will kill the bacteria youre trying to build. I wouldnt even be rinsing the media until the tank cycles.
Hi i was just reading ur post to to this person about rinsing filter in tank water only and not tap well thats what i was doing with my filter do u think thats why im having high ammonia and problems with my tank?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Hold up, you mean to say what:
You rinse filter media with untreated tap water
You rinse filter meadia in treated, aged tap water
You rinse filter media in tank water

?

the best choice would be to use tank water. second best would be to use aged, and treated tap water, and the absolute worst choice is to use tap. the tap kills any and all bacteria that you worked so hard to build during your cycling. If the bacteria is gone, your ammonia will skyrocket, and kill your fish.

Feb 27, 2009
Hi i was just reading ur post to to this person about rinsing filter in tank water only and not tap well thats what i was doing with my filter do u think thats why im having high ammonia and problems with my tank?
Chlorine and Chloramine are put in the water to kill bacteria, so its 'safe' for humans to drink it.

It will kill the bacteria in the filter very quickly, which is why you should never rinse it in untreated water. Like Newman said, the tank water you have just removed is the first choice (and you don't need to do it unless it gets really clogged). The 2nd choice is properly treated water that you would be putting into the tank.

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Chlorine and Chloramine are put in the water to kill bacteria, so its 'safe' for humans to drink it.

It will kill the bacteria in the filter very quickly, which is why you should never rinse it in untreated water. Like Newman said, the tank water you have just removed is the first choice (and you don't need to do it unless it gets really clogged). The 2nd choice is properly treated water that you would be putting into the tank.

Thank You guys...I'm an idiot thats what I had done before...so I guess that would explain part of my problem but I haven't done it again and still changing water but still high...How long before it becomes stable? and ive lost three more fish....:(

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
You would be getting high ammonia levels anyway if the tank is new and hasn't cycled, which from reading your other post it hasn't cycled yet, BUT! If you are rinsing your filter in tap water your tank will NEVER complete the cycle, this is where all the good bacteria live and they are killed instantly by untreated tap water. Only ever clean/rinse your filter in used tank water. Or if you have to, treated tap water. Unfortunately you re-started the whole cycle process everytime you rinsed it in tap water.
Stop rinsing in tap water immediately and let the cycle process complete itself (usually 4-6 wks). Be patient and good luck!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Thank You guys...I'm an idiot thats what I had done before...so I guess that would explain part of my problem but I haven't done it again and still changing water but still high...How long before it becomes stable? and ive lost three more fish....:(
If by stable you mean ammonia and nitrites both at 0ppm and nitrates at a safe and controlled level, well typically 4-6 weeks although it can take alot longer on occasions, for a number of different reasons. You've just gotta be patient and it'll get there eventually. And if you're worried about losing fish, just look online, there are alot of people who recommened certain fish who are more hardy and are said to survive the cycle process better than others.

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
I have a 26g tank that I probably started about the same time you did. I went with the "fishless" route but added a pinch of flake food everyday. The food contains fish products so I imagine this acts like having a fish in there without sacrificing the poor soul. :) It took my tank about a month to develop nitrites and then I never thought they would go away! But, eventually it all evened out in the end. I DID do a big water change as I hadn't touched it during that whole time and that seemed to knock the nitrites down and I started seeing nitrates finally. This was my first time setting up a tank the "right" way and so far I have had no problems with my levels. I have an Oranda and a Ryukin in there right now with a second Ryukin waiting out pet store quarantine. They are all doing great and growing like weeds :)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
3 goldfish might not bee good for a 26 gal. I keep ONE in my 40 gal.
youll know when youve overstocked w/ golfish once they get fin rot. then just start taking the out one by one until the rest improve.

I'm currently undergoing a cycle on my 10 gal...i'd imagine that adding lots of plants into the tank will help keep ammonia and nitrates in check. probably nitrites too. You should add plants once you see nitrites go up...i think. anyways its just a guess, and i dont know for sure.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
youll know when youve overstocked w/ golfish once they get fin rot. then just start taking the out one by one until the rest improve.
OR, -- here's a novel idea -- you could test for nitrates, attempting to keep them below 40, instead of using your fish's loss of health as an indicator.

The canary in the coal mine had to die, you know, to alert the miners to a problem.

:rolleyes:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I found finrot to be unavoidable with an overstocked goldfish tank, even with frequent water changes to keep the nitrates around 20ppm. Thats just me though. I'm just saying finrot MIGHT happen in an overstocked goldfish tank.

Nemo'sMom

Small Fish
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks for the input. I like your philosophy, Judy :) I do check the levels and do frequent water changes. The fish are still pretty small at this point and I figure when they get too big for the tank (won't wait for finrot to determine it though) it will be the excuse I need to get my bigger/second tank! :)