Wicked sweet piece of live rock

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I obtained a really cool piece of live rock the other day, but it was covered in aiptasia and another pest anemone. Being tired and not thinking, I dropped the rock into a bag of tap water and let it sit outside overnight. This morning I took it out of the bag, rinsed it real well in the tap, and scrubbed off the remaining aiptasia that was still clinging to the rock. I've left it high and dry in the sun all day.

Basically I'm looking to fully kill whatever's on this rock and introduce it into my system to eventually get recolonized with my good stuff.

How long should I leave it out, and what do I do to fully clean all the dead stuff off/inside it?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
i would think leaving it out for like 4-5 days would resemble a possible transit time, and then curing it in a seperate tank with high water flow owuld work well. Is there extra nasty stuff on this peice or is it just like a uncured peice of rock?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Mhhh...well i dunno...but when a friend gave me rocks and coral skeletons from the reunion island, i boiled everything and it worked. I boiled it twice, cause i could still smell the rotting stuff. Then i let the sun dry it for a week or so. Now it's in the tank and no ammonia, no smell.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I boiled the rock for an hour and then scrubbed it down real good. It's been in a cup of freshwater for the last 24 hours. Just took an ammonia reading and it's very small, under .25.

Water smells fine too.

You guys think it's ready to go in?