wild caught mouthbrooding bettas?

kebuchan

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2007
Cincinnati / Toronto
Hi all,

Has anyone had experience with wild betta falx, betta edithae or betta raja?

There's a fish club meet that I'm going to next week to pick up a pair some badis badis and someone's going to have wild bettas as well. The only ones I can afford are the falx, edithae and raja :)

The Betta channoides looks awesome but they're $65/pair :(

I'm not sure if I'm going to get them but if anyone has any experience with them, would appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Kevin

kebuchan

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2007
Cincinnati / Toronto
I'm not going to get the $65/pr ones :) But I want to try breeding the other two cheaper bettas. I almost bought a pair of chocolate gouramis a few weeks ago but from what I've read they're very sensitive to water conditions etc. so I passed on them.

I've bred tons of bettas, gouramis etc, in my highschool days but for some reason now (15 yrs later) I can't get any of my fish to spawn :-/ No luck with the kribs or the American-flags... I think I need to get convicts so that I can feel better about the whole spawnless situation ..

Kevin

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
nah their not that sensitive. im sure your expensive bettas would be more sensitive lol...gouramis suck though IMO. bettas are cooler!

LOL and you had trouble with kribs? hm...maybe you shoulda put on some mood music :)

kebuchan

Small Fish
Jul 26, 2007
Cincinnati / Toronto
Well, I got my bettas. Edithae and Falx (2 pairs). So far they haven't eaten anything other than live food and the only live food I had to feed them was Brine Shrimp.

They wouldn't touch the betta food, regular flakes that I feed my other fish, frozen blood worms, freeze dried tubifex..... nothing. They went for the live brine shrimp but very reluctantly.

I guess I'm going to have to culture some food for them, I don't have a brine shrimp tank and baby brine is probably too small for them since they're adult fish (2.5").

My 6 Badis Badis and 4 Scarlet Badis are doing great :) I got them the same day I got the 4 bettas.

Kevin