Will a beta get along

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
i have 1 sword, black widow tetra (around 2-3in size) and 3 danios, and im going to purchase some platys. THey live in my 29 gallon tank. will a betta get along with those fish or would it kill them.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
the black widow tetra seems to hang around with the danios-they swim and hide together. I just heard of people puting betas in their community tanks so i was wondering. thanks for the info.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Depends on the betta, some bettas are laid back while others are extremely aggressive. I wouldn't recommend a betta in a tank that big though, because they aren't used to the current. My betta is still getting used to the current in my little 5 gallon after 3 weeks. What's wrong with the 2 gallon? That would be a decent size for a betta, but only a betta. I'd suggest some more swordtails and tetras, and maybe some cory cats for bottom movement.

Dec 1, 2005
Finland
Non-aggressive bettas can be kept in community tanks if you have the right fish. Tankmates should be non-nippy, peaceful fish that prefer warm and still water. Glowlight tetras, corydoras sterbai and cardinal tetras have worked here.

Livebearers and danios are generally far too active and nippy, and the black tetra can be nippy too especially without a bigger group.

Sep 8, 2005
Depends on the betta. Mine is in a 100 gal [see sig for occupants] and doing fine. He loves the space and swims under the bubbles. He begs for his worms in the morning and sleeps on a sword leaf at night.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Not really... cories need to be in groups (they are social), and any except a pygmy gets too big for a 2.5 single, let alone in a group. I think pygmies are even too active for a 2.5.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
depends on the betta as they can be territorial and each one has it's own territorial behaviors. Betta's will tend to be most aggressive towards fish of similiar size as they see them as threats to their territory so with your current fish you may end up with problems.

I've seen many bettas in a commune tank, Mine loves the idea of some large schools of Tetras cause from the store I got him from he lived with em. Many people think Bettas wont get along without it being a female of it's own kind. But as long as it doesint have a big fish and is not a creature who hates big tails. Most likly they will get along. But it's mainly personality choices. My aunt tina gave her betta a guppy for fish food, and now it was pregnant and the betta watched over the guppy fry Oo; its one weird pair up but it thinks the fry are his babies and only attacks if he gets attacked first. He's in a good size tank with his adult brood of 60 Guppy males. It's weird looking and you would think they would eat em up. But he would possably attack us if we whent anywhere near em.

I know for examples from other friends of mine who have bettas in big tanks, that it's the personality of the betta that chooses it. So inless it's a fish you really love. I suggest to just go for it =D you never know what your betta will think of a friend intill he's introdused. Most likly though the Sword will godafter it insted of the other way around. A Large tail with a sword will most likly catch the wrong ettention and get the critter inraged. As for the platys you could possably try them, but only if you woulint take it to heart if he ate em as dinner o_o It's personality that makes the betta what it is. And the wild bettas in lagoons live with thousands of other fish for shelter, they really love schools. And if you find the right fishies you could possably get a great community betta =3. Oh and it is also best that if you put a betta with a sertan fish, put a school of them in, that way he wont see just the one. And the other fish will feel safer. Platys especialy =D

I hope that kinda helps. But be careful with the swordies.

Last edited:

supapoopa

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I see no problem with the betta in the 29. The only thing that jumps out at me are the danios. IMO they always seem to be on the nippy side and a slower male betta's fins would be a easy attractive target for a school of hyper active danios.

I've also kept cory's and bettas with no problems, but IMO a cory shouldn't be in anything less then 20 gals and in groups of at least 4.

Here's a shot of my first betta and occupant of my 29gal making sure his new tankmate knew who was the boss. :D

Last edited: