Will a pleco get along with cories?

dhlesq

Small Fish
Aug 12, 2006
Greetings all,

I have a 20G tank with one dwarf gourami and 3 julii cories.
The tank has been up for about 3 months, and there is rust colored algae growing.

I put in the a few oto's but they did not seem to touch the algae, and they all died pretty quickly. I have since learned that they are not always easy to get aclimated.

I am considering a rubber-nose pleco as an alternative solution to the algae problem.

My question is, will the pleco get along with the cories, as they will all be spending time together on the bottom.

I was looking at the rubber-nose pleco because it is my understanding that they are relatively small, as plecos go.

I would appreciate any thoughts from those more experienced than I.

-Dave

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Yes they will get along but you are going to have to stay on top of your cleaning. Plecos are MESSY fish. Im also not sure if hes going to help you with your algae problem. (I cant seem to keep track of the different types of algae.) There are different causes for algae so maybe you should look up what the cause is for your type of algae. Alot of times its not neccessary to add a fish. I know some things that cause algae is water condition, over feeding, too much sunlight or the tank light being on too much. IMO with your tank I would look there first. Not saying you cant get the fish but it just might not help. ;)

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I agree with FishGeek. Finding out why you're getting this algae and fixing the problem is a much better choice than adding another fish.

If you do decide to try the rubberlip, I am sure they would get along, but that is alot of bottom fish and 1 top fish and you won't have room for much else. Makes for an empty tank.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
From the brief description "Rust Colored" it sounds like brown Algea. The Brown Algea went away in my tank after is was set up for a couple of months. I now have Green algea. My tank is next to a window. I know it isnt the best place for it but I like it where it is. I need to get some Oto's any way.

MAHA

dhlesq

Small Fish
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for all the advice. This is exactly the kinds of advice I needed.

The algae is rust-colored and looks like a light dusting on all of the horizontal surfaces.

Early on I think I was overfeeding, but I am no longer doing that. The tank light stays on about 7 hours/day.

The algae has been there about a month and seems to spread slowly.

I would definitely prefer to get rid of it without adding the pleco, beacause I had plans to add three tetras instead, to fill out the tank.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the algae without the pleco? Or will it naturally go away on its own?

By the way, ammionia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is around 10ppm (and ready for a small water change).

-Dave