will carbon remove good chemicals?

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i have a HOT Magnum--it has two option for filtration media--a wheel (biological filtration)---or---a little canister that holds activated carbon...i plan to add iodine supplements and marine trace elements...will the carbon remove these chemicals--should i use the biowhell instead?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think carbon will pull those out. I'd go fo r carbon over a biowheel (yet another nitrate trap).
Why do you think you're going to need to add iodine and trace elements to a 29 gallon tank - these things should be maintained by your weekly water change. It's hard to advise adding anything for the hell of it, especially as I don't normally see iodine test kits for sale.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Inverts are much fussier than fish so people aim for zero and generally get jumpy at anything above 20.
Denitrafication goes on dep inside your live rock, inside a dsb if you have one, or in a denitrator. Generally the aerobic areas of a tank outvolume the anaerobic areas so there is more area/oppotunity to produce nitrates than to reduce them. This is wet drys and biowheels for example are termed nitrate traps. Nitrate is the end product , as it is in live rock, however these things produce really quickly in amounts no denitrator can hope to deal with (except a whacking great, hard to run sulphur bead device or similar). Also as they're entirely aerobic, and nitrate CANNOT be reduced in an oxic enviroment (bacteria are present but the energy physics of the chemistry won't work) they typically build up nitrates quick