Will I be close to 100% eliminating bad bacteria in my tank

Apr 11, 2006
Hi, I was just wondering if I will eliminate more bad bacteria if I use a uv sterilizer to eliminate bacteria pass through from my tank to a bucket and then from the bucket to the tank again. Thinking about going almost to the bottom of the tank. I wanted to do this because my tank is infected with ick so by doing this I believe I will kill more ick since almost all of the water is pass through the uv sterilizer. I know it will kill some of the benefical bacteria. The question if a tank is estabished, then by doing this will the tank become unestablish???

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
no. the established bacteria sit on/in your liver rock or in your filter media. the UV sterilizer will not de-establish your tank, though you may see a mini cycle occur if the UV manages to kill a large amount of free floating life. your statement concerning sterilizer and ick has been covered in your other threads: once ick infestation occurs on your fish, the sterilizer will not help. "ick" is generalized term these day, and can be diagnosed from bacteria to fungus to a parasitc worm. even if all these were cycling through your sterilizer, the kill does would have to be HUGE to kill them. killing algae with UV doesn't take much, killing parasites take a huge kill dose, and is therefore not cost effective.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I think this has been answered, the uv wont solve your ich problems and your better off returning it and investing in more appropriate items like The New Marine Aquarium by Paletta

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You're getting desparate and silly.

1. There are bacteria in your water, but not much.
2. Most of your bacteria, and 'sleeping' ich bugs are in your substrate. These are far more dangerous. Ignoring the fact that despite what your shop might tell you your UV is not strong enough to kill ich, do you plan to repeatedly UV your substrate till it's all dead.

It's easy to get rid of ich in a tank. Don't have any, read zero, fish in there for 6 to 8 weeks. Then it dies out. You can go as short as 4 weeks, but then you have maybe a 10,20 risk of reinfection, so 6 to 8 is better, more sure.

Apr 11, 2006
ok guys, I try returning the coralife 3x turbo twist back to the online store, but I cannot so therefore, I stuck with it. I ran the uv sterilizer for a night and it does get my water crystal clear. I guess that a benefit. 90% of my fishes died already except for my yellow tank and damsell. I want to restart over but I guess I cannot at this point. If I do, I'll go with the reef tank instead. I had just order the book, the new aquarium, so hopefully it get here soon. I guess this thread ends here, I appreciate all of you guys' time and help. Thank you. Won't be so foolish next time.

Apr 11, 2006
Another quick question. If I buy like live rocks and sand from a established tank that has gone throug cycling, does that means that my new tank is already established???

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes, it does. If you get a bunch of live rock you're effectively buying a huge bacterial culture. I would bear in mind a few things...

1.It might not be in balance with YOUR bioload, either some of the bacteria will starve to death, or some new ones will grow. Either way will happen fairly quickly.
2. There might be dying stuff on the live rock on the rock, killed by the rigours of travel. This stuf will need to be removed ('curing')
3. In freshwater noone much bothers bout anything butamonia - nitrite - nitrate. In salt things are a bit more complex -you can have a finished nitrogen cycle, and still have hassles if you go to fast. They;re rarely fatal to fish, but will make your tank look a mess usually becasue of amazing algae growth.

But remember, ubless you are planning a breakdown, no fish now for 6 weeks. Read the sticky on how I setup my 30\

Apr 11, 2006
wayne said:
Yes, it does. If you get a bunch of live rock you're effectively buying a huge bacterial culture. I would bear in mind a few things...

1.It might not be in balance with YOUR bioload, either some of the bacteria will starve to death, or some new ones will grow. Either way will happen fairly quickly.
2. There might be dying stuff on the live rock on the rock, killed by the rigours of travel. This stuf will need to be removed ('curing')
3. In freshwater noone much bothers bout anything butamonia - nitrite - nitrate. In salt things are a bit more complex -you can have a finished nitrogen cycle, and still have hassles if you go to fast. They;re rarely fatal to fish, but will make your tank look a mess usually becasue of amazing algae growth.

But remember, ubless you are planning a breakdown, no fish now for 6 weeks. Read the sticky on how I setup my 30\
Yes, I bought cured live rocks and sand.