Will i be overstocked?

cutter

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,
just thinking of adding fish in my second recently bought 10g tank. I was thinking: 2 clown loaches, 1 male betta, 3 females, two male guppies and 4 females, and 5 neon tetras. Is this too much? Thanks for your time...

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Hmmmm..........I think so,although stocking level's where never my strong point!!! All I know is those 2 clown loaches can grow to 12 inches each!!!! that's way to big for that tank. Everything else seem's to be ok.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You don't want to put male and female bettas in a permanent (sp?) tank. The male will kill the females. You could do the male or a female. Females also get territorial, but you might be okay with three to spread out the aggression.

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Like others stated, you might have fish compatability issues. If you stick with 1 betta, your stocking is fine as long as your loaches are young...once they start getting bigger you might run into space problems with them. I know neons are very low bio-load fish, and I think guppies are pretty small too. You might want to consider 6 neons just because they will be happier in a group of 6.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
you've got quite a few comatability issues IMO. definately no clown loaches. then if you went with the male betta you wouldn't beable to have the female bettas of the guppies and even the neons could get nippy. Your best bet would be to with 2 female bettas, 1m 2f guppies and the 5 neons. Then maybe you could try a smaller loach like a kuhli loach.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I wouldn't get 2 bettas either, even both females. One will be dominant, and the other will always be harrassed and chased. If you get 3, one will be slightly dominant, but the other two will both get turns being harrassed, so they will get a little time to relax. Three in a 10 gallon might also be tight enough that none of the females thinks that she has any territory, which will lessen aggression.

Drain

Small Fish
Mar 25, 2005
Male Betta's plus female bettas or other male betta's equals disaster. Unless you have a big tank you should not even think about mixing the two.

If you like you could have about 5 female betta's in a ten gallon. But that'd be it for fish. It's reccomended to have 3 or more females because like someone said, territorial issues!

As for Betta's and guppies, another not-so good idea. Although it can be done, Betta's would be a target for guppies and vice-versa because of their finnage.
I think it's been understood no clown loaches. ;) Besides, Clown loaches are shoaling fish!
Also although someone said you can have 50 guppies in one tank...dude, That's with crazy good filtration and religious water changes. Aside from that guppies are incredibly prone to disease. I don't even want to go there though..
I suggest guppies and tetras. Remember the 1" of small slim bodied fish rule though. Although with those two you may overstep a bit. Or you could try one betta with some tetras? But remember to introduce the betta last.

hi,

phooey is right with practically everything.

although guppies and neons together is quite a weird mix, as guppies come from very hard water regions while neons are very soft water fish. there could be some parasital problem occurring.

i'm not sure if i understand the volum right: 10g = 38 liters?
what i would do with that is 3 small loaches if you insist on loaches, one male and 2 female bettas with lots of plants.

neons and similar need plenty of swimming area, 40 liters is tiny for them. and 5 are not a school either.

another possibility would be sleeper gobies (tateurndina ocellicauda), they are very pretty, smallish and don't need too much space.

or just guppies can be quite attractive too.

or some killies e.g. 2 males and 4 females of fundulopanchax scheeli or kap lopez. they are beautiful, don't need too much space and if you put plenty of plants in, you'd also get some babies, but not es excessive as with guppies.

weird mixtures with only the optic mostly create problems. it's not just social stress that causes the diseases, also the e.g. parasite strains, that one kind can live happily with and the other kind gets ichtyo or similar (like the red indians that died of head cold when the europeans came).

less is more and also helps the balance of your tank, makes it easy to maintain and less work.

lg
niki

cutter

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I can see that the general consensus is that i should stay away from the clown loaches in this kind of tank. By the way, my tank is a standard 60 litre (since i live in Europe), i just tried to convert it to US gallons in order to make the majority (i believe) of people in this forum to understand the size of my tank.