will live rock survive?

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
hi,

well, my perfect little 20gal reef tank is dead. the midwest ice-storm knocked out my power and my house got to 45 degrees inside before I could get to the tank. :(

I'm living elsewhere until the power comes back. I know the clowns, snails, and hermits are all dead, but will the live rock bounce back? anyone with experience will reef cold shock?

thanks

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
this sounds worse than last year when hurricane wilma knocked out our power for 12 days.... look at my sig and picture all those tanks running on battery powered air pumps and then the stores ran outa batteries

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
my losses were kept to a minimum maybe 3 fish tops died... i didnt have any corals at that time so that was good... i went to my lfs in the middle of the hurricane to get sume battery powered air pumps.. after the storm it was a good week before stores started opening since our county had no power... and when they did finally open they didnt have @$%!

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
sad to report, all dead. indoor temp bottomed out at 39 degress (though thats really a big bullet dodge as my pipes didn't freeze). interestingly, 2 of 6 hermits survived and went back to the LFS to continue a happy life somewhere else. I had in a previous thread talked about copious amounts of copepods. A few had survived, but the dead one carpeted almost everything, some of which were as big as a half-inch! bums me out, was a really stable tank, most stable I'd ever had. And one of the two clowns was 8 years old! She was the first saltwater fish I'd bought and had survived two tank moves, a summer 3 day blackout, and 3 months of home renovation running off my neighbor's extension cord through a window. I don't have the money to set up again, so the stuff just goes to storage for now. thanks for replies, and good luck!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Throw all your rock and sand into a rubbermaid tote with a powerhead & heater. You would be amazed at how long it will survive......at least a few months until you can get back on your feet. I know we lost power here too but only for 5 hours.....I have no back up and I was on my way to buy battery back ups when the power came back on. We are seriously considering a generator after this last scare. Temp had dropped to 76 which had my xenia all closing up.......but no losses. Sorry to hear about yours.